Human computer Interaction (CS408)
Assignment # 3
Total marks = 10
Deadline Date= 11th July 2014
Please carefully read the following instructions before attempting the assignment.
Rules for Marking
It should be clear that your assignment would not get any credit if:
1) You should concern recommended books to clarify your concepts as handouts are not sufficient.
2) You are supposed to submit your assignment in .doc format. Any other formats like scan images, PDF, Zip, rar, bmp, docx etc will not be accepted
3) You are advised to upload your assignment at least one day before Due date.
4) This assignment file comprises of Two (2) pages.
For any query please contact: CS408@vu.edu.pk
Suppose you are a web designer, you are given task to improve the navigation in a Virtual University based website "www.vu.edu.pk.”.Suppose your company decides that Virtual University website has poor usability due to its poor navigation. You discuss this issue with your colleague who suggests using “Signposts” to improve navigation.
Your task is to identify navigational issues (at least 4) from "www.vu.edu.pk.” and recommend do really “signposts” help in navigation improvement?
Note: solution format should follow the structure given below:
Reason to recommend solution
Mention page reference/area/topic
Signposts are one type of navigational aid. They provide the information people need to make their own decisions while searching and surfing the web
Check to see if the navigation of the website is simple enough for the average user. Most Internet users are accustomed to navigation bars or buttons being on the top or the left of each page. If a user gets too frustrated trying to locate your navigation, then they could go to another site. Make sure that your website's navigation fits the standard.
2. Make sure that navigating the website doesn't take too long. The rule of thumb is that visitors should be able to get exactly where they want to go in eight seconds or less. If it takes longer than this, many visitors will simply move on to another website.
3. Provide a search box. If you have a large site, visitors may get frustrated trying to muddle through your large navigation system. A search box can provide an easy way for those visitors to locate the information they need quickly.
4. Let visitors know where they are in the website. Make sure that the title of the page is clear. It's a good idea to provide what section of the website through which they are currently navigating.
5. Give visitors directions on the process. If you have a checkout system or some other element of your website that has multiple steps, consider putting text at the top outlining the steps of the process. This should show which steps are completed, which step they are on and what steps they have left to go.
6. Keep your navigation system constant. It's fine to make some tweaks here and there to improve your navigation system, but unless it is really bad, don't change the basic setup. Changing the basic setup will only leave repeat visitors frustrated.
cs408 idea sloution
plz any one share idea...
Tariq Bahi ye sb tou pta hai. But mjy sach may vu ki web site may koi eaaaakkkkkkk b navigation problem nzr ni aa rai. kya kia jae???