Business Communication (ENG301)
Assignment 1 (Spring 2013)
Total Marks: 15
Q1: ‘Artifacts play a key role in establishing first impressions at workplace’. Discuss. (5)
Q2: Identify the basic elements of the communication process by reading the following situation and considering the questions. (5)
The time is Friday afternoon. This interaction takes place in Ali’s office. Ali is a manager of an office that processes orders for a computer firm. The people in Ali’s office are present for a weekly wrap-up of the activities and planning for next week’s needs—Nadeem, who is responsible for keeping the office on its schedule; Zaid, who is responsible for the computers and technology in the office; Farhan, who communicates regularly with the sales people who turn in the orders.
Answer each question below.
Who is the sender?
Who is the receiver?
What is the message?
What medium was used to convey the message?
What was the feedback?
Q3. Identify the most appropriate option for each description regarding effective communication. (5)
1. Its purpose is to know what the speaker wants to say or to learn from the speaker. It is an act of cooperation in the sense that it takes advantage of others’ knowledge and experience. Therefore, devoting time to this aspect is in our self-interest.
2. Effective listeners do not pay attention only to what is being said, but also notice how it is said. They observe the feelings, attitudes and emotional reactions of the speaker.
3. Good listeners do not allow themselves to be overly awed by the speaker’s status, fame, charm or other physical or personal attributes. They perceive the person detached from his personal attributes. Effective communicators are not conditioned by their self-realized impressions and prejudices, but are able to focus on the content of what is being said.
4. Listeners should allow the speaker to conclude his or her point. Only then should they try to interpret and respond to it. Such generalizations may not represent what the speaker intended to communicate.
5. Effective listeners keep in mind the speaker’s point of view by focusing on the big picture, background constraints/limitations, and special needs and the emotional state of the speaker. Do not allow the speaker to feel hurt, ignored or insulted.
hmm abi dekhny se tau easy lag rehi chlen kr k main yahan post krun gi apni..
hey salaam i need help too with this assignment.
koi jnb assignment e do
post soon plz
plz post question # 2
Please Discuss here about this assignment.Thanks
Our main purpose here discussion not just Solution
We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning and do not appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions.
hmmm......me also solve it...seems easy but not so...
y nt u share it wid us
iqrah t mehmood mean ??
yes i dont understand question no. 2 at all.
its a comprehension style question inwhich u have to understand the situation and then answer the given questions that are related to the situation.......try to analze who is sender and receiver and what is the message from given paragraph.....
hope so u can understand......