Latest Activity In Study Groups

Join Your Study Groups

VU Past Papers, MCQs and More

We non-commercial site working hard since 2009 to facilitate learning Read More. We can't keep up without your support. Donate.

Plz Discuss this assignment

Assignment No. 05
Semester: Spring 2013

CS501: Advanced Computer Architecture

Total Marks: 20

Due Date:  03-07-13

Instructions

Please read the following instructions carefully before assignment submission.

It should be clear that your assignment will not get any credit if:

• The assignment is submitted after the due date.
  • The submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
  • The assignment is found to be copied from the internet.
  • The assignment is found to be copied from other student.
  • The assignment submitted is not according to required file format (.doc).

Objective

The objective of this assignment is:

• To assess your overall understanding of Computer Architecture and Organization
  • To assess your overall understanding of Computer processing
  • To assess your overall understanding of DMA, Polling and interrupts

Note:

• The assignment should be in .doc format.
  • Assignment .05 covers lecture 25-31. You can also consult reference books for help.
  • Students are advised to submit their assignment as early as possible in order to avoid any sort of inconvenience like Load shedding etc.

Question No 1:
                                                                                                     (10 marks)

Suppose we have a benchmark that executes in 100 seconds of elapsed time, where 90 seconds is CPU time and the rest is I/O (Input/output) time. If CPU time improves by 50% per year for the next five years but I/O time doesn’t improve, how much faster will our program run at the end of five years?

You are required to calculate the CPU improved performance and improved elapsed time.    

After n years

CPU/ time

I/O time

Elapsed time

% I/O time

0 (Current Year)

NOTE: Theoretical answer will not be considered

Question No 2:                                                                                                      (4 marks)

Consider a 20 MIPS (Microprocessor without Interlocked Pipeline Stages) processor with several input devices attached to it, each running at 1000 characters per second. Assume that it takes 17 instructions to handle an interrupt. If the hardware interrupt response takes 1msec, what is the maximum number of devices that can be handled simultaneously?

NOTE: Theoretical answer will not be considered

Question No 3:                                                                                                        (6 Marks)

Scenarios discussion:

If we want the lowest latency for an I/O operation to a single I/O device; while in terms of lowest impact on processor utilization from a single I/O device then what will be the orders/arrangements of Interrupt driven, DMA(Direct Memory Access) and polling in both scenarios? Explain reasons.

NOTE: Give answer within 3-5 lines. Otherwise answer will not be considered.

GOOD LUCK J

Views: 8082

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Q.3 

3 to 5 lines main DMA, intrrupt i/o our polling ko compair kro .

our btao k DMA kaisy better hy interrupt i/o sy our interrupt i/o  kaisy better hy polling sy .

okaz thnx to alllllzzzzzzzz

for q# 3                  

An I/O scheme that employs interrupts to indicate to the processor that an I/O device needs attention. DMA is a mechanism that provides a device controller with the ability to transfer data directly to or from the memory without involving the processor. Polling is the process of periodically checking the status of an I/O device to determine the need to service the device. DMA Works in the background without CPU intervention while Interrupt works by asking for the use of the CPU by sending. The DMA is used for moving large files since it would take too much of CPU capacity while interrupts take up time of the CPU. Polling is best then DMA and interrupts because polling is a low level process since the peripheral device is not in need of a quick response. The major advantage is that the polling can be adjusted to the needs of the device.

frndz tell me plzzzzzzzz am i right?

how to calculate

CPU improved performance and improved elapsed time   

Gud news for all of you agar ap ki awaz achi hy yani acha singing talent hy ya ap acha dance kr sktay ho ya ap ka koi singing group hy tu ap tu talent hunted program main shamil honay ky iss site ko join kro wo bhi bilkul free it is golden chance for all talented girls and guys or apni videos record kr ky upload kro agr ap main talent hua tu ap ko select kiya jay ga competition ky liye.
Ye news apnay friends or relative ko bhi btaye shayad kisi talented bnday ka kam bn jay or iss ko ziada se ziada share krain

For free joining click here

http://www.wannabefamo.us/?refid=d47c3df5

click here

KINDLY UPLOAD COMPLETE SOLUTION IN .DOC FILE

Armaan Ali  hamein bs arrangngs batani hyn do catagories di hui hyn instructor ny. r reasons b.

If we want the lowest latency for an I/O operation to a single I/O device; while in terms of lowest impact on processor utilization from a single I/O device then what will be the orders/arrangements of Interrupt driven, DMA(Direct Memory Access) and polling in both scenarios? Explain reasons.

falto batain bhai naveed jamal  ap ni krain assignment discuss krain agr kr skty hain tu

plz Q 3 k reasons koi bta dy

please any one tell me k 1.5 kasy aya hai?????

friends plz tell me how to calculate %I/O time?

kindly write formula for it

easiest way to claculate is add  the given percentage over which cpu performance increaded per year to 100 and then divide sum by 100 . 

for example in q no 1 (50 +100 )/100= 150/100 = 1.5  now divide all the cpu times by this ratio.

for the example given in handouts performance increased by 40% therefore it is (40+100)/100=140/100 = 1.4

RSS

© 2021   Created by + M.Tariq Malik.   Powered by

Promote Us  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service