We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning & don't appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions. Read More>>

Looking For Something at vustudents.ning.com? Click Here to Search

www.bit.ly/vucodes

+ Link For Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution

www.bit.ly/papersvu

+ Link For Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More

C++ is still useful in embedded systems. As everyone else has said, that it still depends on the system itself, like 8-bit uC would probably be a no-no in my book even though there is a compiler out there and some people do it(shudder). [ There's still an advantage to using C++ even when you scale it down to something like "C+" even in a 8-bit micro world. What I mean by "C+", I mean don't use new/delete, avoid exceptions, avoid virtual classes with inheritance, possibly avoid inheritance all together, be very careful with templates, use inline functions instead of macros, and use const variables instead of #defines. I've been working both in C and C++ in embedded systems for well over a decade now, and some of my youthful enthusiasm for C++ has definitely worn off due to some real world problems that shake one's naivete. I have seen the worst of C++ in an embedded systems which I would like to refer to as "CS programmers gone wild in an EE world." In fact, that is something I'm working on with my client to improve this one codebase they have among others. The danger of C++ is because it's a very very powerful tool much like a two-edged sword that can cut both your arm and leg off if not educated and disciplined properly in it's language and general programming itself. C is more like a single-edged sword, but still just as sharp. With C++ it's too easy to get very high-levels of abstraction and create obfuscated interfaces that become meaningless in the long-term, and that's partly due to C++ flexibility in solving the same problem with many different language features(templates, OOP, procedural, RTTI, OOP+templates, overloading, inlining). I finished a two 4-hour seminars on Embedded Software in C++ by the C++ guru, Scott Meyers. He pointed out some things about templates that I never considered before and how much more they can help creating safety-critical code. The jist of it is, you can't have dead code in software that has to meet stringent safety-critical code requirements. Templates can help you accomplish this, since the compiler only creates the code it needs when instantiating templates.

+ How to Follow the New Added Discussions at Your Mail Address?

+ How to Join Subject Study Groups & Get Helping Material?

+ How to become Top Reputation, Angels, Intellectual, Featured Members & Moderators?

+ VU Students Reserves The Right to Delete Your Profile, If?

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

Views: 3931

+ http://bit.ly/vucodes (Link for Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution)

+ http://bit.ly/papersvu (Link for Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More)

+ Click Here to Search (Looking For something at vustudents.ning.com?)

+ Click Here To Join (Our facebook study Group)

Replies to This Discussion

ThE gDb qUeSTioN iS aS fOLLowInG:
For developing software for embedded systems, C/C++ is an optimal choice.
Yes or NO? Support your answer with solid reasons.

m.Tariq ap na humin kha ua ha k ak topic sa related discussion open ho tu doseri nei krni chauiy mager ap na kud ya dosri discussion open ki ha.thanks for understand

khekhekhekhe..hn! 

Debate over the most popular programming language can become an emotional, almost religious battle. In general if we discussed about the C++ language then we can say that Yes, C++ is still useful in embedded systems. Without the help of C++ a developer can’t develop a good embedded software.

I think the C language is a very good language for embedded system. It is between low level and high level language. You can go deep to access hardware and use all abilities of micro controller’s special function that other languages have never done it. C language is very classic, immortal and popular all around the world. C have been born for so long and it still exist for now and next

A programming language is just one tool in a developer’s expansive collection of specialty software and hardware. There's still an advantage to using C++ even when you scale it down to something like "C+" even in a 8-bit micro world. What I mean by "C+", I mean don't use new/delete, avoid exceptions, avoid virtual classes with inheritance, possibly avoid inheritance all together, be very careful with templates, use inline functions instead of macros, and use const variables instead of #defines.

Please Discuss here about this GDB.Thanks

Note: You don’t need to go any other site for this assignment/GDB/Online Quiz solution, Because All discussed data of our members in this discussion are going from here to other sites. You can judge this at other sites yourself. So don’t waste your precious time with different links.

GDB will remain open for two consecutive working days. For this you have choice to post your comments from 28th June to 29th June.

nice tariq sir

C++ is still useful in embedded systems. As everyone else has said, that it still depends on the system itself, like 8-bit uC would probably be a no-no in my book even though there is a compiler out there and some people do it(shudder). [ There's still an advantage to using C++ even when you scale it down to something like "C+" even in a 8-bit micro world. What I mean by "C+", I mean don't use new/delete, avoid exceptions, avoid virtual classes with inheritance, possibly avoid inheritance all together, be very careful with templates, use inline functions instead of macros, and use const variables instead of #defines. I've been working both in C and C++ in embedded systems for well over a decade now, and some of my youthful enthusiasm for C++ has definitely worn off due to some real world problems that shake one's naivete. I have seen the worst of C++ in an embedded systems which I would like to refer to as "CS programmers gone wild in an EE world." In fact, that is something I'm working on with my client to improve this one codebase they have among others. The danger of C++ is because it's a very very powerful tool much like a two-edged sword that can cut both your arm and leg off if not educated and disciplined properly in it's language and general programming itself. C is more like a single-edged sword, but still just as sharp. With C++ it's too easy to get very high-levels of abstraction and create obfuscated interfaces that become meaningless in the long-term, and that's partly due to C++ flexibility in solving the same problem with many different language features(templates, OOP, procedural, RTTI, OOP+templates, overloading, inlining). I finished a two 4-hour seminars on Embedded Software in C++ by the C++ guru, Scott Meyers. He pointed out some things about templates that I never considered before and how much more they can help creating safety-critical code. The jist of it is, you can't have dead code in software that has to meet stringent safety-critical code requirements. Templates can help you accomplish this, since the compiler only creates the code it needs when instantiating templates. ] 

C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if the choice of C were to do nothing but keep the C++ programmers out, that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.

In other words: the choice of C is the only sane choice. I know Miles Bader jokingly said "to piss you off", but it's actually true. I've come to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really would prefer to piss off, so that he doesn't come and screw up any project I'm involved with.

C++ leads to really really bad design choices. You invariably start using the "nice" library features of the language like STL and Boost and other total and utter crap

• familiarity
  • desired language features
  • specific libraries you want to use
  • performance requirements

For server side programming you can often choose from a myriad of different languages, compiled or interpreted. Usually the choice of language is driven by which platform you or your team will be most effective on. Or if you don't yet have a team, the availability of skills in the market.

On a side note I don't really understand deciding to use C/C++ based on performance (only) since many scripting languages are extensible with C/C++. You get the benefit of a rapid development language coupled with the ability to migrate the slow portions into C/C++ extensions. Certainly if your doing systems programming where every op counts it's understandable, but in most app development I don't get it.

++ has an arsenal of utilities from long ago, running in many platforms. But it is painful to start walking through streams for just passing String to Integer and reverse.

C++ on the other hand, has an awful deal with dependencies on libraries. Once you compile something in GCC X or VC++ Y, then you can't rely that the code will run by the next version of those tools. The same hell is on Windows, the same hell is on Unix too.

Perl, takes its power from Unix world but especially as a regular expression tool. This is what it is used most of the time. Along with some pretty serious tools that even Java can't do it in a normal way (check out how to upload a file to a web server), Perl is "just do it".

Python is easy, flexible and a dynamic language. So easy that you can send an integer to a function, the script expects string, yet you can have a result! Unexpected though, but a result. So it the programmer needs to be very cautious. IDLE offers some debugging, but when you have TELNET'ed to a system, or SSH'ed in three levels down and you want to find your problem, the debugger won't be there to stand next to you. But, it can do some great math work fast.

hmmmm.......

tehreem.... itne solution diye hen ap ne, lekin i am still confused ke kya points raise kiye jain is statement ke haq me, i think statement true ha, c/c++ kafi broad languages hen jo embedded systems me easily use ho sakti hen coz assembly language b c/c++ ke tools pe base kerti ha

lekin ek he gdb ha, kya likhen :((

RSS

Latest Activity

Rameesha posted a status
"Plz moje b reply kar do koi"
1 minute ago
ghazni left a comment for Nabeel Ahmed
1 minute ago
= + = Handsom MunDa# updated their profile
2 minutes ago
Sana fatima replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion CS304 Assignment No 01 Fall 2019 Solution & Discussion in the group CS304 Object Oriented Programming
3 minutes ago
Rameesha replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion Criteria Required for Award Badges, Featured Members & Moderators
7 minutes ago
Rameesha posted a status
"Plz send me solution of assignment no 1 of mth202"
14 minutes ago
Rameesha commented on + M.Tariq Malik's page Past Papers
15 minutes ago
Hamza - BCS (6th) and Saleem Maheen are now friends
18 minutes ago
Rameesha liked Ayaat's profile
19 minutes ago
Rameesha left a comment for Ayaat
19 minutes ago
Uzma liked + M.Tariq Malik's group PSY101 Introduction to Psychology
21 minutes ago
Waseem Aziz added a discussion to the group MGMT627 Project Management
24 minutes ago
Rameesha posted a status
"Plz send me the solution of mgt211 gdb's solution"
24 minutes ago
Waseem Aziz joined + M.Tariq Malik's group
26 minutes ago
November 2019 replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion CS401 Assignment No 01 Fall 2019 Solution & Discussion in the group CS401 Computer Architecture and Assembly Language Programming
28 minutes ago
+ M.Tariq Malik liked + M.Tariq Malik's discussion PAK301 Assignment No 01 Fall 2019 Solution & Discussion Due Date: 21-11-2019
28 minutes ago
Rameesha left a comment for ALI KAMRAN
28 minutes ago
+ M.Tariq Malik added a discussion to the group PAK301 Pakistan Studies
28 minutes ago
Profile IconUzma, Rameesha, MUHAMMAD BILAL and 6 more joined Virtual University of Pakistan
28 minutes ago
November 2019 replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion CS401 Assignment No 01 Fall 2019 Solution & Discussion in the group CS401 Computer Architecture and Assembly Language Programming
29 minutes ago

© 2019   Created by + M.Tariq Malik.   Powered by

Promote Us  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service