Latest Activity In Study Groups

Join Your Study Groups

VU Past Papers, MCQs and More

Question 1: [5]

Suppose a leather firm wants to build a computer network, where it wants to connectmultiple star topologies together, which topology you will prefer to connect multiple startopologies? Explain your answer with solid reasons.

Question 2: [5]

Differentiate between frames and packets in tabular form? (Minimum five points)

Question 3: [5]

Assume eleven devices are arranged in a mesh topology. How many cables and ports areneeded for each device?

Please share your ideas about this assignment.Fall%202011_CS601_1.pdf

Views: 1473

Replies to This Discussion

See the attached file for another idea solution of CS601 Assignment No.1 Fall 2011

Attachments:

Two more idea solution filess of CS601 Assignment#01 Fall 2011

see the attached file please

Attachments:

QUESTION: - 1
Suppose a leather firm wants to build a computer network, where it wants to connect, which topology you will prefer to connect multiple star topologies? Explain your answer with solid reasons.

ANSWER:-
According to my opinion I will prefer the tree topology to connect the given multiple star topology together. Best topology for branched out networks is tree topology. The reasons are given below that why I use the tree topology to connect the multiple star topologies together:
Reasons:
Ø This topology is more suitable for large networks where ring or star topologies are not suitable to connect the large number of networks.
Ø There are no inflections in either expanding or removing the nodes.
Ø Tree topology is more manageable because of it sub-parts.
Ø In tree topology there is point to point wiring for individual segments.
Ø All the computers have access to the larger and their immediate networks.
Ø We can attach more devices and networks to the central hub in tree topology because of secondary hub devices.

Q.2 Idea ..
A packet and a frame are both packages of data moving through a network.

A packet exists at Layer 3 of the OSI Model, whereas a frame exists at Layer 2 of the OSI Model.

Layer 2 is the Data Link Layer. The best known Data Link Layer protocol is Ethernet.

Layer 3 is the Network Layer. The best know Network Layer protocol is IP (Internet Protocol).

To move through a network, a packet is encapsulated into one or more frames

Q.3

The numbers of cable links required for mesh topology are:
Number of devices = 11
Number of links = n (n-1)/2
=11 (11-1)/2 = 55 

Number of I/o ports = (n-1) = 11-1 = 10

Q.2 Idea ..

A packet exists at Layer 3 of the OSI Model, whereas a frame exists at Layer 2 of the OSI Model.

Layer 2 is the Data Link Layer. The best known Data Link Layer protocol is Ethernet.

Layer 3 is the Network Layer. The best know Network Layer protocol is IP (Internet Protocol).

Packet This term is consided by many to correctly refer to a message sent by protocols operating at the network layer of the OSI Reference Model. So you will commonly see people refer to packets . However, this termin is commonly also used to refer generically to any type of message, as i menitoned earlier.

Frame This term is most commonly associated with messages that travel at low levels of the OSI Reference Model. In particular, it is most commonly seen used in reference to data link layer messages. It is occasionally also used to refer to physical layer messages, when message formatting is performed by a layer 1 technology. A frame gets its name from the fact that it is created by taking higher-level packets or datagrams and "framing" them with additional header information needed at the lower level.

Suppose a leather firm wants to build a computer network, where it wants to connect, which topology you will prefer to connect multiple star topologies? Explain your answer with solid reasons.

ANSWER:-
According to my opinion I will prefer the tree topology to connect the given multiple star topology together. Best topology for branched out networks is tree topology. The reasons are given below that why I use the tree topology to connect the multiple star topologies together:
Reasons:
1:This topology is more suitable for large networks where ring or star topologies are not suitable to connect the large number of networks.
2:There are no inflections in either expanding or removing the nodes.
3:Tree topology is more manageable because of it sub-parts.
4:In tree topology there is point to point wiring for individual segments.
5 :All the computers have access to the larger and their immediate networks.
6:We can attach more devices and networks to the central hub in tree topology because of secondary hub devices.

Q.2 .

Q.3

The numbers of cable links required for mesh topology are:
Number of devices = 11
Number of links = n (n-1)/2
=11 (11-1)/2 = 55 

Number of I/o ports = (n-1) = 11-1 = 10

Q.2
Packet This term is consided by many to correctly refer to a message sent by protocols operating at the network layer of the OSI Reference Model. So you will commonly see people refer to packets . However, this termin is commonly also used to refer generically to any type of message, as i menitoned earlier.

Frame This term is most commonly associated with messages that travel at low levels of the OSI Reference Model. In particular, it is most commonly seen used in reference to data link layer messages. It is occasionally also used to refer to physical layer messages, when message formatting is performed by a layer 1 technology. A frame gets its name from the fact that it is created by taking higher-level packets or datagrams and "framing" them with additional header information needed at the lower level.

Assignment No. 01 SEMESTER Fall 2011  total Marks: 15 

CS601- Data Communication                       Due Date: 31/10/2011

Question 1:

Suppose a leather firm wants to build a computer network, where it wants to connect multiple star topologies together, which topology you will prefer to connect multiple star topologies? Explain your answer with solid reasons.

Ans:

I will prefer the “Tree” topology to connect the given multiple “Star” topologies together. Because “Tree” topology is best for branched spread networks. Due to the following reasons I prefer a “Tree” topology:

Reasons:

• “Tree” topology is more suitable for large and spread networks where “Ring” or “Star” topologies are not suitable to connect the large number of networks.
  • There are no varieties in either expanding or removing the nodes.
  • “Tree” topology is more manageable because of its sub-parts.
  • In “Tree” topology there is point to point wiring for individual segments.
  • All the computers have access to the larger and their immediate networks.
  • We can attach more devices and networks to the central hub in the “Tree” topology because of secondary hub devices.

Question 2:

Differentiate between frames and packets in tabular form? (Minimum five points)

Ans:

Following are the differences between frames and packets:

Frames

Packets

1-      A frame is a data of fixed or variable length

1-      A packet is a formatted block of data carried by a packet mode computer network

2-      Frames are an OSI layer 2(data link layer) protocol data unit.

2-      Packet is an OSI layer 3 (Network layer) protocol data unit.

3-      A frame is a place to put a packet

3-      A packet is a group of bits of data.

4-      You can’t store a frame.

4-      You can store packet.

5-      Frames are pieces of data that contain hardware addresses, such as a MAC /IP address, frame delimiters and data.

5-      When data is transferred its transferred pieces, these pieces are called packets

Question 3:

Assume eleven devices are arranged in a mesh topology, how many cables and ports are needed for each device?

Ans:

Cables links and ports are needed for each device is as follows:

Number of devices in the topology = 11

Number of links = n(n-1)/2

Where “n” =11

So

Number of links= 11(11-1)/2

Number of links= 11(10)/2

Number of links=110/2

So number of links= 55

Now

Number of ports= n-1, where “n” =11