After completing this assignment, the students will be able to:
· compare Parallel Processing and Serial Processing
· describe what and when to Parallelize
· calculate Speed up using Amdahl’s Law
Please read the following instructions carefully before submitting assignment:
It should be clear that your assignment will not get any credit if:
· Assignment is submitted after due date.
· Submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
· Assignment is copied (From internet/ to from students).
· Assignment is submitted other than word format (.doc, .docx).
XYZ is a fabric manufacturing company. This company is planning to implement DWH for its existing OLTP system implemented in 300 + stores all over Pakistan. Size of company’s Database is approx. 298 GB that grows at the rate of 0.8 GB per day approximately. Company has designed a state of the art DWH in its head office in terms of hardware and software. Hardware consists of 7 Systems having quad-core processors. In ideal situation, a complex query would return results in 27 minutes on single processor (serial execution).
After analyzing the scenario given above, you are required to answer the following questions;
Question # 1 – If a complex query is executed parallel on 6 single core processors then what would be the quantified speed up time.
Question # 2 – Calculate Speed up ratio using Amdahl’s Law, if 80% of query processing is done through parallel execution on DWH hardware.
Your assignment must be uploaded on VULMS on or before July 27, 2020. While July 28, 2020 will be a bonus day for assignment submission. After the bonus day, no assignment would be entertained via email.