We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning & don't appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions. Read More>>

Looking For Something at vustudents.ning.com? Click Here to Search

www.bit.ly/vucodes

+ Link For Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution

www.bit.ly/papersvu

+ Link For Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More

Dear Students! Share your Assignments / GDBs / Quizzes files as you receive in your LMS, So it can be discussed/solved timely. Add Discussion

How to Add New Discussion in Study Group ? Step By Step Guide Click Here.

ENG001 - Elementary English GDB No. 1 Solution and Discussion Spring 2014 Due Date: July 22, 2014

ENG001 - Elementary English GDB No. 1 Solution and Discussion Spring 2014  Due Date: July 22, 2014

Graded Discussion Board (GDB) will be opened on July 21, 2014 and closed on July 22, 2014.

Comment on ONE of the following topics:

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Or

"If 50 million people say something foolish, it is still foolish."

Read the following instructions carefully before posting your comments:

Go through the topics carefully and write your own views about anyone of the given topics.

You are NOT supposed to write on both the topics.

Your comments should NOT exceed 100-150 words.

+ How to Follow the New Added Discussions at Your Mail Address?

+ How to Join Subject Study Groups & Get Helping Material?

+ How to become Top Reputation, Angels, Intellectual, Featured Members & Moderators?

+ VU Students Reserves The Right to Delete Your Profile, If?

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

Views: 250

+ http://bit.ly/vucodes (Link for Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution)

+ http://bit.ly/papersvu (Link for Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More)

+ Click Here to Search (Looking For something at vustudents.ning.com?)

+ Click Here To Join (Our facebook study Group)

Replies to This Discussion

Please Discuss here about this GDB.Thanks

Our main purpose here discussion not just Solution

We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning and do not appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself

Life is made up of stages such as love, sorrow, anger, etc. 
Those stages are like the layers of the Earth, they build up until they get to the outermost layer, which carves you inside out. 
Its almost like molding yourself into someone, or something, you want to become. You cannot find yourself if you never were created. So think of it as like Legos building up into something amazing. 
I still have alot of molding to do :] Hah. 
I hoped this help with your "I don't know.

If 50 million people say something foolish, it is still foolish

yes, it is still a foolish thing - the majority is not always right. 

But who decided it is a foolish thing? Because those 50 millions will say that the once saying the contrary say smth foolish.

There are those who waste much of their lives and leave a path of pain and destruction all in the name of ‘finding themselves.’ Many times, ‘finding oneself’ is nothing more than a confusing excuse to justify narcissism and self-indulgence; a convenient way of avoiding responsibility and maturity; an exercise in hedonism. There are certainly those born with a life already created, for better or worse, but hope is born in the creation, or re-creation, of a life more of our making, more aesthetic than what we may have been born into. When life is handed on a shabby platter and a person perseveres and, against all odds, creates a life contrary to the natural order of things, a wonderful thing is born. Hope. Inspiration. Passion.
Without hope, we may as well be autumn leaves, dead and brittle, being blown about by the wind and fading away. Call me a romantic, but, to me, Shaw’s quote is a message of hope.

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) is making a distinction here between:

(1) life as a kind of passive process of gradual self-discovery and growing self-awareness;

(2) life as an opportunity to exceed the limits of your birth (country, class, family), become your own person, and make your mark in the world.

I don’t think these are mutually exclusive, however. We all try to be who we want to be. We all have a vision of the perfect life we would like to have, and the perfect self we would be within it. But as we get older, we come to realize that having an understanding of who we are, of our strengths and weakness, our talents and our failings, is pretty fundamental to achieving anything at all. You can exceed the limits of your birth, but you can't really escape from your own personality. The more self-knowledge you have, the better equipped you are to achieve your goals.

“If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing” –Anatole France, 1844-1924

This quote by Anatole France has a great meaning behind it. Even though lots of people believe something, and say it is so, that does not mean that’s the truth. If 50 million people say that, “Oh, hey, the world is flat! Not rounded!” Lots of people will believe that, because of the sheer large amount of people. It could be people don’t believe otherwise or seek out the truth, whether or not the earth is round, out of fear of being a) wrong and b) ridiculed and not accepted by those 50 million people. 
Although many people believe things from religion, to little things like, bad luck, that does not mean what they think isn’t foolish. (Sorry, I’m not implying that religion is foolish, its just an example). If many people believe that the current type of schooling is effective and good, that doesn’t mean they are right. Just because 50 million people have been doing the same exact thing for hundreds of years, it doesn’t mean they aren’t foolish for thinking that way. In fact, recently, things that tons of people say have been tested and peoples minds have been changed. Examples are changing the way people things about race, gays, and even things that people thought where universally KNOWN!

Life is both finding yourself and creating yourself: both are done simultaneously. Some people find out a lot about themselves after they have reached 21. 23 is a good age for realizing many things about yourself. Using that knowledge you can try to shape yourself and your world. Everyone is unique and has a place in this world, and to quote Sinuhe ("he who is alone") in "The Egyptian": "no one is alone.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.With all due respect Mr Shaw, but how can one loose or miss the boat. It seems more realistic to a have a point of referece thaan to be a legend in one's mind. Personally, it seems more real to say "Life isn't about finding yourself , for that is a waste of time and an illusion. Life is about finding the one who created you."

To live to merely find or discover who you are is to indulge in your mystic glory (if you have one) and it sounds passive and narcissistic. If you don't have much inside to discover, which is probably the case for most, you live to create the exuberant life, always looking forward, not dwelling on the self and be stuck there! So, Mr. Saw, who created "Arms and the Man", etc, created life by actively charging forward...living...

So if finding yourself is creating yourself, then you are stuck in your own mystic glory, like a Zen Buddhist, who lives within "it"self by rejecting the world to avoid or deny the vagaries in it.

According To My Opinion :-

"Life isn't about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself."- George Bernard Shaw.

Ever since I heard this quote I've been pondering whether this is true. I know it's a matter of opinion, really, but I have reasons supporting both sides. 

Created: 
Life might be about created yourself, because what you believe, feel, enjoy, etc. might be determined by the people that surround you, the places you go, and the things you do. And by putting yourself in situations, associating yourself with people, and doing these things, you are essentially creating yourself. 

--or-- 

Life is about finding yourself: 
You're born with your brain a certain way so that your personality is predetirmined. And the brain influences you to hang with the people you do, go to the places you go, and do the things you do.

If 50 million people says something foolish, it is still foolish.

yes, it is still a foolish thing - the majority is not always right.

This is a famous quote by W. Somerset Maugham. basically, it means that even the majority claimed sth. you should still give it a second thought to see if it's really true as people claimed it to be.

“If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing” – Anatole France, 1844-1924

The foolishness of something cannot be made sensible simply by the number of people who believe it, it just makes it generally accepted. I would start to write my essay on the aphorism “If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing” in this way. I will then proceed writing my essay defending my stand and in this particular matter, it is best to provide an example and elaborate with a thorough explanation.

One very good example to use in writing my essay about the aphorism “If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing” is when Christopher Columbus insisted that the earth is round. During those times, people have accepted an earlier statement about the world being flat. Although, a number of people, sailors in general, believed the earth as round to be true, the majority opinion still prevailed. Only after numerous evidences came up that the idea of a flat earth was discredited.

Essay writing on this aphorism will be more effective by including one particular theory that will support my statement, the Spiral of Silence. This is a communication theory by Elisabeth Neumann which delves on the idea that people tend to keep an opinion to themselves rather than voicing it out even if they feel strongly about it simply because they are outnumbered.

I can then end writing my essay in this way. Just because a considerable number of people decided on one thing and accepted it as true does not make it the truth in itself. Unfortunately, a popular opinion is something that is difficult to change. Most of the time, people tend to follow the majority instead of thinking in a more sensible way.

RSS

Latest Activity

༺łℳℜ₳₦༻ immy posted a discussion
1 minute ago
+ Danial replied to + "αяsαℓ " Ќąƶµяɨ •"'s discussion Happy Marriage to "Zee" & " Nomi weds Noor"....!
3 hours ago
Aijaz khan posted a discussion
3 hours ago
khurram us salam replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion ACC501 GDB Fall 2019 Solution & Discussion in the group ACC501 Business Finance
4 hours ago
khurram us salam joined + M.Tariq Malik's group
4 hours ago
+ ՏhehαrZααD + replied to + ՏhehαrZααD +'s discussion Assalamu Alaikum
5 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! Blu Moon replied to + "αяsαℓ " Ќąƶµяɨ •"'s discussion Happy Marriage to "Zee" & " Nomi weds Noor"....!
5 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! AG liked + Iuuoɔǝut +'s discussion After and Before Marriage situations
5 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! AG liked + Iuuoɔǝut +'s discussion Rules for Happy Marriage Life
5 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! AG liked +***piya o ry piya***+'s discussion eng201
5 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! AG liked 彡JK彡 ❤️'s discussion جسکی سنو وہی فرشتہ
5 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! AG liked + ! ❤INNOCENT❤'s discussion Faqeer
5 hours ago
+++"MinShah"+++ updated their profile
5 hours ago
abdul bari updated their profile
5 hours ago
Zain Arshad replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion ENG201 Business and Technical English Writing Assignment No 01 Fall 2019 Solution & Discussion in the group ENG201 Business and Technical English Writing
5 hours ago
+ "αяsαℓ " Ќąƶµяɨ •" replied to + "αяsαℓ " Ќąƶµяɨ •"'s discussion Happy Marriage to "Zee" & " Nomi weds Noor"....!
5 hours ago
+ "αяsαℓ " Ќąƶµяɨ •" replied to + "αяsαℓ " Ќąƶµяɨ •"'s discussion Happy Marriage to "Zee" & " Nomi weds Noor"....!
5 hours ago
+ "αяsαℓ " Ќąƶµяɨ •" and Isha Chuhdary are now friends
5 hours ago
Waseem Aziz added a discussion to the group MGMT627 Project Management
5 hours ago
Waseem Aziz added a discussion to the group STA630 Research Methods
6 hours ago

© 2019   Created by + M.Tariq Malik.   Powered by

Promote Us  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service