We have been working very hard since 2009 to facilitate in your learning Read More. We can't keep up without your support. Donate Now.

www.bit.ly/vucodes

+ Link For Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution

www.bit.ly/papersvu

+ Link For Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More

Looking For Something at Site? Search Below

Assignment No.3 Solution (Graded) Business Communication (ENG301)Due Date Thursday 18th February 2014.

Business Communication (ENG301)

Assignment 3 (Fall 2013)

Total Marks: 15

Objective:

• The assessment of students’ understanding of different concepts of ‘Business Communication’ and how they can apply their conceptual knowledge in daily life examples

Instructions:

• Late assignments will not be accepted.
  • If the file is corrupt or problematic, it will be marked zero.
  • Plagiarism will NOT be tolerated. Plagiarism occurs when a student uses work done by someone else as if it was his or her own; however, taking the ideas from different sources and expressing them in your own words will be encouraged.
  • No assignment will be accepted via e-mail.
  • The solution file should be in Word document format; the font color should be preferably black and font size should be 12 Times New Roman.

Q1. Suppose you are the Quality Assurance Officer at Virtual University of Pakistan. You

have been assigned a task to get self-assessment reports from the members of various

departments, refine them by adding the missing details and removing the unnecessary

points. You have been given the time of six months for completing this task. Write a

monthly progress report to the Advisor of Quality Enhancement Cell keeping in mind

all the five parts of superstructure for a Progress Reports including Introduction,

Facts, Discussion, Conclusion and Recommendations.                                                     10

Q2. Keeping in mind your IT-based knowledge; fill in the blanks with appropriate terms. 5

a)      A text-based Internet navigation program, developed at the University of Minnesota that uses a menu tree to search for subjects is called ---------------.

b)      Computer hardware and software that protects part or all of a private computer network attached to the Internet by preventing public Internet users from accessing it is called --------.

c)      A private network, set up within a corporation or organization that operates over the internet and may be used to link geographically remote sites is called -----------------.

d)     An electronic bulletin board system through which newsgroups are transmitted is called

e)      Web address that gives the exact location of an internet resource, contains information about the server to be contacted and path of access is called ------------.

+ http://bit.ly/vucodes (Link for Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution)

+ http://bit.ly/papersvu (Link for Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More)

+ Click Here to Search (Looking For something at vustudents.ning.com?)

+ Click Here To Join (Our facebook study Group)

Views: 3821

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Students,

These are the answers of Q2. in my opinion, Verify all answers yourself.

Please discuss this assignment and share your answers/opinions.

a. Gopher

b. Firewall

c. Virtual Private Network

d. Usenet

e. Uniform resource locator (URL)

Thanks Ellis

Please Discuss here about this assignment.Thanks

Our main purpose here discussion not just Solution

We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning and do not appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions.

How To Write a Progress Report

A progress report consists of a header, an executive summary, a description of the smaller components, and indication of when the next report is due. You would write the report following this template and then send it to your boss or another reporting superior as designated.
Header

The header contains identifying information for the report. You will enter the title, the date on a which the report is published, the stoplight status of whatever you're reporting on (red yellow green), and the overall metric, perhaps percent complete, plan versus actual. Note: A progress report such as this is most often used for projects, but can also be used to report on other things. For example, if you have been assigned the task of reducing the number of hours per drawing for an engineering firm you would use a progress report to show your progress in reducing the number of hours per drawing.
Title: Project X Progress Report
Date: May 30 20xx
Percent Complete: 63 actual, 59 plan.

Executive Summary

You write the executive summary last. This is the summary of all of the major points listed below in the body of the report. Depending on your audience, sometimes the executive summary is limited. That depends on your audience, the number of people receiving the report and their levels within the organization. An executive summary is targeted to those senior managers who may not have the time to read the entire report. If you're report is directed to your immediate supervisor, it is expected that he or she will read the report and the executive summary may not be needed. However, if this is a report that is widely distributed, to many executives throughout the organization, it may be necessary to include an executive summary for those individuals who do not have the time to read the entire report.
Progress of the Component Pieces

This is the main body of the report. In this section of the report, you detail your progress in all of the a component areas of the project. You list your progress and accomplishments regarding all of the metrics during this time period. You show what your plan is for the next time period. And then you list not only the blockers, but also what efforts you are taking to clear them. Finally, the section will show what additional assistance is needed from your boss or other recipient of the progress report.
Summary

The body of the report is followed by in the summary section. It includes fewer details than the progress reported in the previous section. You would include the same information, metrics, accomplishments, plan for the next period, and any blockers, but provide fewer details for each category. For example, the summary might be a single sentence, like “all deliverables are on time”, while the progress write-up in the previous section might say “Deliverable A, due on xx/xx/xx will be delivered three days early. Report Y will be delivered on time on xx/xx/xx. And report C, delayed for two week while waiting for the graphics, is now expected to be delivered on its revised due date of xx/xx/xx.”
Next Report Due Date

Here you list when the next report will be sent out. If this is a weekly report, for example, you would show the next report due date as one week following. For a monthly report, you would show the date next month when the report would be sent out. People who receive the report will expect these data to be as accurate as the data in the reports.
Bottom Line

Your progress report consists of the optional executive summary, the reporting of the progress of all the components within the project, the detailed summary, and the timeline. Make them as accurate as you can.

Mine answers 4 question 2:

a) Gopher

b) Firewall

c) Virtual |Private Network

d) Usenet

e)URL

How to Write a Progress Report

When your boss asks you for a status report, you may feel like shrugging it off. A progress report may seem like something minor but it can go a long way in communicating the details of a project to both your supervisor and other staff members. Providing this information can help your boss assist you with staffing, budgetary needs, support and guidance throughout the project.

1 Research the aspects of your business that you need to cover in your progress report. This includes all details of the project you're working on; you will need to know it inside and out so you can present it to your superiors. Collect reports from subordinates, peers, contractors and sub-contractors as needed.

2 Compose your statement of purpose. This should include a brief description of the project. You don't need to be wordy as supervisors should have some information on what you're working on and they probably have limited time to read through progress reports. In this opening statement, explain why you are giving a progress report at this time.
3 Explain what work has already been completed in the body of the report. You can go into more detail here so your boss can relay this information to other parties if necessary. Outline how these tasks will help accomplish the end goal and explain what stage each task is in. Discuss how you're doing with your budget, being specific as to what items are coming in on budget and which ones aren't.
4 Consider any problems you've run into while working on this project. This could include personnel, time constraints, bottlenecks and legal matters. List these along with how you've corrected them or how you plan to correct them. If you need help with something, state it here.
5 Write about what activities are still underway. Provide a projected date of completion for them and outline any potential problems you foresee. Note in the report whether you believe the project will be finished on schedule.
6 Create a spreadsheet detailing what parts of the project are done and which ones you're still working on. Give as much detail as possible; include dates as well as actual and projected costs. Since your boss may not have a lot of time to read progress reports, providing a summary in graph form may help. This is optional but it can really be helpful if your boss is short on time or if he prefers to see things graphically instead of in words. One form of spreadsheet often used for this purpose is the Gantt Chart.
7 Summarize your status report. Make this section short and concise, giving just the necessary details about what you've completed and what is still left to do. Quickly review any problems or concerns you have with the project and make recommendations on how to correct them.

Question 2

Part D

d) An electronic bulletin board system through which newsgroups are transmitted is called

Usenet is an electronic bulletin board system through which newsgroups are transmitted.

e) Web address that gives the exact location of an internet resource, contains information about the server to be contacted and path of access is called ------------. Uniform Resource Locator (URL).

c) A private network, set up within a corporation or organization that operates over the internet and may be used to link geographically remote sites is called -----------------. Virtual private network (VPN).

Question 2

(b)  Computer hardware and software that protects part or all of a private computer network attached to the Internet by preventing public Internet users from accessing it is called --------.

Computer hardware and software that protects part or all of a private computer network attached to the Internet by preventing public Internet users from accessing it is called firewall.

Example  Of Progress Report

Civil Engineering Department
University of Wisconsin

Date October 28, 1996
To: Michael Alley
Subject: Progress of My Research on the Evacuation of the R.M.S. Titanic

Introduction

This memo responds to your request on the progress of my research project for EPD 397. As you might remember, my research project was an assessment of the evacuation of passengers from the R.M.S. Titanic on April 14-15, 1912, after it struck an iceberg. As presented in my proposal of October 14, 1996, I identified two principal objectives for the research: (1) assess the evacuation equipment that was available when the ship struck the iceberg, and (2) assess the evacuation procedures during the three hours that it took the Titanic to sink. This memo will first present the research that I have completed so far, including preliminary results. Then this memo will discuss the remaining research and suggest modifications to that research based on information uncovered so far. Finally, the memo will discuss my progress on meeting the original deadlines for the project.

Completed Research

Since submitting my proposal, I have spent most of my research time obtaining and reading sources. My principal source, Titanic: End of the Dream [Wade, 1992], is a book, which has required much time to read through. Figure 1 presents a timeline depicting the work done so far. The shaded bars represent work that has been completed.

Figure 1. Timeline showing progress on research project. The filled bars indicate the work that has been completed. The open bars indicate the work that has yet to be done. The triangles indicate the key milestones: the formal presentation (November 11) and the formal report (December 6).

Preliminary research shows that an assessment of the equipment is straightforward. The Titanic did not have nearly enough lifeboats. In fact, it had lifeboats for only about half the 2200 passengers and crewmembers, but this lack of available lifeboats was not unusual for cruise ships at that time [Wade, 1992]. Of more interest from an engineering perspective is an assessment of the procedure the crew used for loading and filling those boats during the three hours that it took for the Titanic to sink. For instance, the first lifeboat that was lowered into the water was at less than half capacity. That low percentage is interesting since almost two-thirds of the passengers and crew went down with the ship. Why were the lifeboats not full? Was it because the crew members were not skilled at filling them? Or was it because the crew had not made the passengers aware of the severity of the situation? Or was it something else? These questions are interesting from the perspective of safety engineering.

Remaining Research

Because preliminary results in the previous section raise interesting questions about the evacuation procedure, I would like to change my research to focus on that evacuation procedure, as opposed to discussing both the evacuation procedure and equipment. By focusing on the evacuation procedures, I believe that I can achieve more depth into a subject that could provide important safety lessons for engineers.

So far, I am on schedule with the research project. The open bars shown in Figure 1 present the timeline of work that I have yet to do to complete my research project by December 6, 1996. The two triangles indicate the important milestones for the project, the top one being the formal presentation (November 11) and the bottom one being the formal report (December 6). Most of the work remaining involves preparing a presentation on a portion of the research, drafting the final report, and revising the formal report. Because I am choosing a synopsis of the procedures for filling the lifeboats as my presentation topic (a topic that requires the presence of key images that will be used in the final report), I will have a head start on assembling important illustrations for the report.

Conclusion

This progress report has updated you on the status of my research on the evacuation of the R.M.S. Titanic on the night of its sinking. As stated, I am on schedule and should complete the project by the original deadline, December 6, 1996. Because preliminary research has raised interesting questions about the evacuation procedures, I request permission to modify my original objectives, discussed in the proposal, to focus on those evacuation procedures. In doing so, I believe that I will attain depth into an interesting engineering aspect of the Titanic's sinking.

Q 2: Answers with Examples

b.Chameleon Ladies College’s hardware and software firewalls provide protection against hackers while reducing the chance of offensive material from the Internet reaching the students.

d.Usenet resembles a electronic bulletin board system (BBS) in many respects, and is the precursor to  Internet forum that are widely used today. 

e. A URL is a formatted text string used by Web browsers, email clients and other software to identify a network resource on the Internet. Network resources are files that can be plain Web pages, other text documents, graphics, or programs. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Miss. Churhail replied to Miss. Churhail's discussion LOVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!
6 minutes ago
Miss. Churhail replied to Miss. Churhail's discussion $$$$$AB YE SOCHA HY K HAM HAD SE GUZAR JAYEN GY$$$$$$
7 minutes ago
Miss. Churhail replied to Miss. Churhail's discussion $$$$$AB YE SOCHA HY K HAM HAD SE GUZAR JAYEN GY$$$$$$
7 minutes ago
Kamal Qaisar posted discussions
31 minutes ago
Junaid [MAF] joined +M.Tariq Malik's group
47 minutes ago
Junaid [MAF] updated their profile
51 minutes ago
+ + + **noor!! ! ! ! ! liked Mani Siddiqui Ex's status
1 hour ago
Profile IconMuhaamad Rizwan, Khursheed Shahid, Wali and 22 more joined Virtual University of Pakistan
1 hour ago
Blessings posted a status
"Tu jo hr roz nye hussn pe mr jata hai........................tu btaye ga mujhe ishq hai kya"
1 hour ago
Blessings commented on Mani Siddiqui Ex's status
1 hour ago
Mani Siddiqui Ex commented on Mani Siddiqui Ex's status
2 hours ago
+ıllıllı ᎶᏋᏁᎥᏬᏕ ᏰᎥᏒᎴ ıllıllı+ replied to Miss. Churhail's discussion LOVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!
2 hours ago
+ıllıllı ᎶᏋᏁᎥᏬᏕ ᏰᎥᏒᎴ ıllıllı+ liked Miss. Churhail's discussion LOVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!
2 hours ago
+ıllıllı ᎶᏋᏁᎥᏬᏕ ᏰᎥᏒᎴ ıllıllı+ replied to 乇メ-丂イひり3刀イ.'s discussion *** الوداع اردو ***
2 hours ago
+ıllıllı ᎶᏋᏁᎥᏬᏕ ᏰᎥᏒᎴ ıllıllı+ liked 乇メ-丂イひり3刀イ.'s discussion *** الوداع اردو ***
2 hours ago
+ıllıllı ᎶᏋᏁᎥᏬᏕ ᏰᎥᏒᎴ ıllıllı+ liked Mani Siddiqui Ex's discussion Softech Worldwide is hiring Batch #2
2 hours ago

© 2020   Created by +M.Tariq Malik.   Powered by

Promote Us  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service