Latest Activity In Study Groups

Join Your Study Groups

VU Past Papers, MCQs and More

We non-commercial site working hard since 2009 to facilitate learning Read More. We can't keep up without your support. Donate.

Language Learning Theories (ENG505)

Fall 2020

Assignment No. 1

Total Marks: 20

Lesson: 08-27

Instructions:

• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
  • The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
  • Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be awarded zero marks.
  • After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
  • Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
  • The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.

Analyze the reading material available on the following links and answer the questions given below:

1. https://teacherrogers.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/gagnes-9-events-of-instruction-for-english-language-lessons/
  2. https://waterbearlearning.com/how-to-use-gagnes-nine-events/
  3. https://citt.ufl.edu/resources/the-learning-process/designing-the-learning-experience/gagnes-9-events-of-instruction/
  4. http://kindeteachers.blogspot.com/2014/07/gagnes-nine-events-of-instruction_9509.html

Gagne’s book, The Conditions of Learning, first published in 1965, identified the mental conditions for learning. These were based on the information processing model of the mental events that occur when adults are presented with various stimuli. Gagne created a nine-step process called the events of instruction, which correlate to and address the conditions of learning. Keeping these stages in mind as you plan for a class session or online module can give your lesson plans a strong foundation.

Q1. In the table given below, list Gagne’s nine events of instruction. (Marks 9)

Q2. (a) As an English teacher, how will you use Gagne’s nine events of instruction in a Pakistani ESL (English as a second language) classroom for teaching essay writing to the students of matriculation (classes 9-10)? Give ONLY one example against each in the table given below. (Marks 9)

(b) Now revisit your lesson plan and mention which learning theory approach you used for creating it: behaviorism, cognitivism or constructivism and highlight the one you used in the table. (Marks 2)

Instructions:

1. Use the table given below to write your answers to all questions.
  2. For Q2, use the fourth link given above as an example. It gives an example of a lesson plan for teaching science. You have to create one for teaching essay writing in an ESL class.
  3. For Q2, two marks are for mentioning which learning theory is the basis of your lesson plan. You just have to highlight it in the table.
  4. Be concise. First try to understand what the questions demand and once you are clear write to the point.

Q1 (Marks 9)

Q2 (Marks 9+2)

Serial No

Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction

Nine Events based Lesson Plan  for teaching essay writing in a Pakistani ESL classroom

Theory used : Behaviorism/Cognitivism/Constructivism

Views: 286

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Share the Assignment Questions & Discuss Here.... 

Stay touched with this discussion, Solution idea will be uploaded as soon as possible in replies here before the due date.

one more solution

ENG505_Assignment_No_01_Solution_Fall_2020

Click on the below link to download the file

ENG505 Assignment 1 Fall 2020 Solution idea:

Language Learning Theories (ENG505)

Student Name:

VU ID:

Solution:

Q1 (Marks 9)

Q2 (Marks 9+2)

Serial No

Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction

Nine Events based Lesson Plan for teaching essay writing in a Pakistani ESL classroom

Theory used : Behaviorism/Cognitive/Constructivism

Gain attention

Showing a short structure of essay writing that we are about to learn.

Inform learner of objectives

·       Learn the structure of a five-paragraph essay

·       Use various strategies to write the lead-in and introduction.

·       Write a clear thesis statement and essay map

·       Write an essay that demonstrates unity, coherence, and completeness.

·       Support general statements with effective examples.

·       Develop examples with specific details to illustrate a point.

·       Proofread for minor/major grammar and mechanical errors.

Stimulate prior learning

I would tell them about the how writing can be started by asking them that how they have read the comprehensions and stories previously in their syllabus. Similarly we’ll write the essays but on

different topics.

Present stimulus

material

I will display new content from their books, explain it a little bit, and

then demonstrate it.

Provide learner guidance

I’ll give instructions on how to write a good essay. I’ll assist them in better writing.

For example: I’ll start writing an essay on the board on some random

Topic and will ask them to tell me the sentences and will try to help them creating a short essay.

Elicit performance (practice)

The learner’s self-practice makes him perfect.

For example: I’ll make corrections if required in the sentences which they would form.

Provide feedback

Once they will start writing; I’ll check their work and provide specific, immediate feedback on their performance, reinforcing and correcting errors.

For Example: try to use good vocabulary, take care of the punctuations and use proper grammatical sentences.

Assess performance

Once they completely learn essay writing; I’ll test my students to determine to what extent the new knowledge has been mastered.

For Example: I’ll ask my students to prepare test till five essays.

Enhance retention and

transfer

For this practice I’ll ask the learners to practice on new topics for essay writings.

For Example: Topics else than their (books)

one more solution

RSS

© 2021   Created by + M.Tariq Malik.   Powered by

Promote Us  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service