Latest Activity In Study Groups

Join Your Study Groups

VU Past Papers, MCQs and More

We non-commercial site working hard since 2009 to facilitate learning Read More. We can't keep up without your support. Donate.

Semester “Spring 2013”
Journalistic Writings
MCM 310
Assignment No. 01 Marks: 15
All About Words
Learning objective:
· To make students aware about word structures.
· To enhance the need of analytical and critical observation among students as they are
future professionals.

Background:
“Journalist cannot march in the parade. They can only stand in the curb and write about what
goes past and why.” Roger Mudd, award winning TV Journalist
A journalist has to be very much proficient in writing skills. The Effectiveness of Words makes
the piece of writing more attractive for the readers and helps in building interest. The study of
structure of words is called Morphology. The elements which help in formation of words are
Morphemes, Portmanteau, Prefixes, Suffixes, Compounding, Figurative language, Collocations
and denotations.

Marks: (1*5)
Task:
Your task is to pick out/highlight these forms of words i-e Morphemes, Portmanteau,
Prefix, Suffix and Collocations from the given News stories.

(a) KABUL: Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan have killed seven civilians with a roadside
bomb and cut the throats of four Afghan soldiers kidnapped while travelling home on
leave, officials said Wednesday.

The civilians were travelling to the town of Shindand in the western province of Herat when
their van was torn apart by the blast on Wednesday, they said. Seven civilians, including
children, were killed and four wounded, which is a matter of immense grief. The interior
ministry said in a statement blaming the Taliban.Mohidin Noori, a provincial government
spokesman, confirmed the death toll. “It was the work of enemies of Afghanistan, the
terrorists,” Noori told AFP, referring to the Taliban who have been battling Afghan government
and foreign forces since 2001.It was the second fatal incident of its type in two days. On
Monday a roadside bomb hit a tractor in the south, killing seven civilians and wounding four.
Roadside bombings and other explosions are a key weapon used by Taliban and other
insurgents against Afghan troops and members of the US-led foreign force. But civilians are
often casualties of the blasts. The bodies of four Afghan soldiers were found Wednesday with
their throats cut in Jawzjan, a day after they were kidnapped by the Taliban along the road to
the Northern Province, police and officials said. They were travelling home for a vacation,
according to a local police spokesman. This incident was strongly condemned by the leaders of
the country. Sources said that it is a pre-planned activity by Taliban. These kinds of activities
are running internationally.
(b) KARACHI: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Punjab president Shahbaz
Sharif has met with PML-F chief Pir Pagara at Raja House in Karachi, DawnNews
reported.
Speaking to the media, Shahbaz Sharif said that the alliance with the PML-F will remain
intact.
“We will contest in the elections together, Sharif said.
Shabaz Sharif said that with Pir Pagara’s prayers, nobody can stop Nawaz Sharif from
becoming prime minister for a third time.
PML-F chief Pir Pagara, while addressing the media, said that he discussed seat
adjustments with Shahbaz Sharif during their talks.
“I said it before that there was going be bloodshed as the elections came closer and that is
exactly what is happening,” Pir Pagara said.
“Vote rigging is not the path to follow,” he also said.
Shahbaz Sharif earlier said that the Pakistan People’s Party will be defeated severely in
Sindh in the upcoming general elections. He said that no development works were carried
out in Karachi in the past five years, adding that ‘Metro Bus Service would have been
operational in the city otherwise’.
(c) LAHORE: Despite his international cricketing career looking very much over, former
Pakistan captain Salman Butt firmly believes he can make a comeback after he and
former Pakistan team-mate Mohammad Asif saw their appeals against spot-fixing bans
rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Wednesday.
Salman lost his appeal against a 10-year ban while Asif failed to overturn a seven-year
suspension by an International Cricket Council (ICC) tribunal in 2011 for their roles in spotfixing
in the Lord’s Test against England in 2010. The disgraced duo must serve five years of
their sanctions, with the remaining years deferred by the ICC. On that context, Salman told
Dawn that he would be back in international cricket in 28 months’ time. “What is done is
done,” he said. “I have already served two years and eight months of the ban but now I have to
finish the two years and four months to try to make a return to cricket,” he said. Salman
informed that the ICC tribunal headed by Michael Beloff had reduced five years of his
punishment suspension provided he does not breach Code of Conduct and it makes him
optimistic of making a return to the national team. “The ICC tribunal asked me not to attend
any rehabilitation program arranged by the PCB and I was also barred from participation in any
tournament which comes into the fold of the ICC or the PCB so I’m hopeful of a comeback.
Important Note:
For better understanding of the given concepts, thoroughly read lecture no: 08.

Views: 575

Replies to This Discussion

Please Discuss here about this assignment.Thanks

Our main purpose here discussion not just Solution

We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning and do not appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions.

idea /////////?????????????

we have to pick out these following things from each of the given paragraph,

1 Morphemes,

2 Portmanteau,
3 Prefix,

4 Suffix

make 4 column and write those words, no need to write the whole paragraph.

MORPHEMES: a morpheme is the smallest linguistic unit that has semantic meaning.
One morpheme: dog, elephant, child
 Two morphemes: dog s, elephant s, child ish.
Three morphemes: child ish ness
 Six morphemes: anti-dis-establish-ment-arian-ism

PORTMANTEAU: Portmanteau is one derived by combining portions of two or more separate words.
They are blend of two words. So there are two meanings packed into one
 Oxbridge = Oxford + Cambridge
 Because = by + cause
 Brunch = Breakfast + lunch
 Camcorder = camera + recorder
 Email = electronic + mail
 Fortnight = fourteen + nights
 Hassle = haggle + tussle
 Intercom = internal + communication

PREFIXES: A prefix is placed at the beginning of a word to modify or change its meaning. This is a list
of the most common prefixes in English, together with their basic meaning and some examples. You can
find more detail or precision for each prefix in any good dictionary. The origins of words are extremely
complicated. You should use this list as a guide only, to help you understand possible meanings. But be
very careful, because often what appears to be a prefix is not a prefix at all. Note also that this list does not
include elements like "auto-" or “bio-", because these are "combining forms", not prefixes.

SUFFIXES
Noun Suffixes: These are common endings for nouns. If you see these endings on a word, then you know it must be a noun.

you can see the examples in more detail from your handouts...

dear fellows, its really easy assignment ... 

just find out those words and write in the MS word..

REGARDS,

Please  mention that words from that assignment  plzzzzzzzzzzzz i need urs help.

Morpheme

Portmanteau

Prefixes

Suffixes

Soldiers

Children

Activities

Officials

Spokesman

Insurgents

Enemies

Insurgents

terrorists

Afghanistan

Civilians

Internationally

How the hell we pick morphemes?? its meaningful word does that mean every word is morpheme??

Laureate H  sis,

calm down n thn do the work .....

i m working on my assignment ,  well i don't know is it 100% correct or not , i m just giving u my own idea... 

kindly read the handouts no 8 ......in a great detail every thing is over there..

RSS

Looking For Something? Search Below

VIP Member Badge & Others

How to Get This Badge at Your Profile DP

------------------------------------

Management: Admins ::: Moderators

Other Awards Badges List Moderators Group

© 2021   Created by + M.Tariq Malik.   Powered by

Promote Us  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service