SEMESTER “SPRING 2012”
Financial Accounting (MGT101)
Assignment # 02
Due date: 7th June 2012 Marks: 30
· To educate the students, how to reconcile the bank statement and cash book.
Silicon Corporation is operating an official bank account with TIP Commercial Bank and is
enjoying a good credit history for the last 8 years. The Finance Manager of Silicon Corporation
considers the banking channel as a safe mode of payments and receipts. Therefore, most of the
transactions of Silicon are being done through banking system. But one day, upon scrutiny of
entries in the Corporation’s Cash Book and Pass Book of the official bank account, the finance
manager found the following discrepancies:
I. The cash book of Silicon Corporation showed an overdraft balance of Rs. 60,000 on 31st
II. On 22nd December, cheques totaling Rs. 8,000 were sent to the bank for collection, out of
which cheque for Rs. 1,000 was wrongly debited to cash book by Rs.1,000 and credited to
XYZ. The cheque amounting to Rs. 500 could not collected by the bank till date.
III. An amount of Rs. 1,500 received by the bank on behalf of the corporation, from Mr. ABC
was not appearing in the cash book at all.
IV. A cheque of Rs. 8,000 was issued to a supplier on 28th of December, 2011. This cheque
was presented to the bank on 4th January, 2012.
V. There were two entries of Rs. 4,000 and Rs. 1,200 debited in the Pass Book as interest on
overdraft and bank charges respectively, but both have not been recorded in the Cash
VI. A direct payment by the bank for insurance premium of Rs. 200 has not been recorded by
the depositor at all.
VII. A cheque for Rs. 1000 was issued to a creditor on 27th December but unfortunately, the
cheque was not en-cashed till 31st December 2011.
VIII. As per the standing instructions, the banker collected dividend of Rs. 1,000 on behalf of
Silicon Corporation and credited the same till 31st December 2011. This fact was however,
intimated to Silicon Corporation on 3rd January, 2011.
IX. A cheque of Rs. 1,500 was drawn on his personal account by the Owner was wrongly
debited to his wife’s account by the bank.
i. Prepare a Bank reconciliation statement of Silicon Corporation as on December 31st
Note: 2 marks for formatting
ii. Pass necessary journal entries to correct bank column of the cash book. (Marks: 10)
Outcomes of this Assignment:
Students will be able to
· Sort all those entries that could be recorded mistakenly either by customer or by bank.
· Update the cash book of their business or the business which they will serve in near future.
Calculate to the point where calculation is being required. NO need to
write irrelevant material or extra interpretation.
Only in the case of Assignment, 24 hours extra / grace period after the due
date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties which may be
faced by the students on last date. This extra time should only be used to
meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be
treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
Please read the following instructions carefully before attempting the
· Make sure that you upload the solution file before the due date. No
assignment will be accepted through e-mail once the solution has
been uploaded by the instructor.
· Use the font style “Times New Roman”/ “Arial” and font size “12”.
· It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word.
· Use black and blue font colors only.
· Every student will work individually and has to write in the form of an
· Give the answer according to question.
· For acquiring the relevant knowledge don’t rely only on handouts but
watch the video lectures and use other reference books also.
Rules for Marking
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0) if:
· It has been submitted after due date
· The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt
· It is in any format other than .doc (MS. Word)
· It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals
Best of Luck!!!!!!!
don't be angry its ok, you are intelligent keep in touch lets study together, lets be friends.............:)
Request to all of you guys and grls, If anybody have correct Assignment Solution please share this soon! time is too short for submit. Thanks!
discussion to bari achi hue hai.. magar kaam ki aik bhi baat nahi hai... waste of time..:P