“Money & Banking (MGT411)”
Assignment No. 01 Marks: 15
1. This Assignment can be best attempted from the knowledge acquired after
watching video lecture no. 1 to lecture no 13 and reading handouts as well as
recommended text book).
2. Video lectures can be downloaded for free from www.youtube.com/vu .
Opening Date and Time November 04 , 2010 At 12:01 A.M. (Mid-Night)
Due Date and Time November 10 , 2010 At 11:59 P.M. (Mid-Night)
Note: Only in the case of Assignment, 24 Hrs extra / grace period after the above mentioned
due date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties which may be faced by the
students on last date. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above
mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
Question no 1
On 01 January 2010 JS Group want to issue bonds in the capital market having
face value Rs.1, 000 with coupon rate of 10% (semi annually and 15 years
maturity). Investor required rate of return in this scenario is 12%.
You are being the student of finance know the worth of fundamental methods of
valuation; therefore you are required to calculate the present value of the bond by
utilizing the fundamental methods.
The bond of JS Group is traded in the Karachi Stock exchange for Rs.950. The
par value of the bond is Rs.1, 000. The coupon rate is fixed at 12 % paid annually.
This bond will be matured after 03 year. What will be (YTM) of this bond?
EFU, an insurance company, wants to plan a new service to its policy holders.
During the meeting of executives, CEO offered a plan of house insurance. The
summary of estimated cash flows which were discussed in that meeting is:
· This project will need Rs.05 million as initial investment
· In the first year company will receive Rs.02 million as premium from the
· In second year, company expect to receive Rs.2.5 millions as premium
· In third year company estimated that it will have to receive only Rs. 01
million because there will be a earth quack in that period, as probability of
having earth quack is more than 80% as predicted by geologists.
· In the fourth year the company estimated to get Rs.1.5 million after clearing
the insurance claims of the policy holders.
· In fifth year they expect to receive only Rs. 0.5 million
Calculate the IRR of above mentioned plan by trail and error method?
Please read the following instructions carefully before attempting the assignment solution.
· Make sure that you upload the solution file before the due date. No
assignment will be accepted through e-mail once the solution has been
uploaded by the instructor.
· Use the font style “Times New Roman” and font size “12”.
· It is advised t compose your document in MS-Word 2003.
· Use black and blue font colors only.
· Every student will work individually and has to write in the form of an
· Give the answer according to question, there will be negative marking
for irrelevant material.
· For acquiring the relevant knowledge don’t rely only on handouts but
watch the video lectures and use other reference books also.
· provide all calculation only answer will not be appreciated
Rules for Marking
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0) if:
· It has been submitted after due date
· The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt
· It is in any format other than .doc (MS. Word)
· It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc…
· Please install adobe reader to view the assignment
+ http://bit.ly/vucodes (Link for Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution)
+ http://bit.ly/papersvu (Link for Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More)+ Click Here to Search (Looking For something at vustudents.ning.com?) + Click Here To Join (Our facebook study Group)