We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning & don't appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions. Read More>>
SEMESTER SPRING 2013
PRODUCTION AND OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
ASSIGNMENT # 01
DUE DATE: 6TH MAY, 2013
Pakistan is one of the largest cotton-producing countries of the world. Pakistan’s textile
industry is a major contributor to the national economy in terms of exports as well as
employment. Few years back textile industry of Pakistan was considered as one of the
major contributors in GDP of the country, but nowadays its share is declining due to
many national and international reasons. Mughal Textile Mills (MTM) have started their
business in Pakistan in this drastic situation of the industry, they are basically dealing
with the manufacturing of textile items majorly yarn, fabric and home textile.
In few years time Mughal Textile Mills (MTM) is having great success in the market.
Their sales are increasing and they are able to capture handsome portion of the market
share. Keeping in view the above scenario and the current situation of Pakistani textile
industry; on the basis of your subject knowledge you are required to:
1. Discuss the major factors, in terms of production operations management, that the
Mughal Textile Mills (MTM) has adopted to gain market success in few years.
2. Also suggest the operations manager of Mughal Textile Mills (MTM) that what
they can do in order to make their forecasting more accurate?
24 hours extra / grace period after the due date are usually available to
overcome uploading difficulties. This extra time should only be used to meet
the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as
final to avoid any inconvenience.
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS/ SOLUTION GUIDELINES/ SPECIAL
• BE PRECISE AND PROVIDE LOGICAL REASONING OF YOUR SOLUTION.
• AVOID USING BLOGS OR COPING FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE AS IT WILL BE MARKED
AS ZERO (0).
OTHER IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS:
• Make sure to upload the solution file before the due date on VULMS.
• Any submission made via email after the due date will not be accepted.
• Use the font style “Times New Roman” or “Arial” and font size “12”.
• It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word format.
• You may also compose your assignment in Open Office format.
• Use black and blue font colors only.
• Use APA style for referencing and citation. For guidance search “APA
reference style” in Google and read various websites containing
information for better understanding or visit
RULES FOR MARKING
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0), if:
• It is submitted after the due date.
• The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt.
• It is in any format other than MS-Word or Open Office; e.g. Excel,
PowerPoint, PDF etc.
• It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc.
Note related to load shedding: Please be proactive
As you know that Pre Mid‐Term semester activities have started
and load shedding problem is also prevailing in our country.
Keeping in view the fact, you all are advised to post your activities
as early as possible without waiting for the due date. For your
convenience; activity schedule has already been uploaded on
VULMS for the current semester, therefore no excuse will be
entertained after due date of assignments, quizzes or GDBs.
.+ http://bit.ly/vucodes (Link for Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution)
+ http://bit.ly/papersvu (Link for Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More)+ Click Here to Search (Looking For something at vustudents.ning.com?) + Click Here To Join (Our facebook study Group)
hello friends . please discuss here about assignment.
External and internal factor........
for quiz 1
for 2nd quiz read page 34
question not quiz?
so did you solved GDB?
Please Discuss here about this assignment.Thanks
Our main purpose here discussion not just Solution
We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning and do not appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions.
VU Walon kuch dehan iss assignment ki taraf
sab log GDB karne mein busy hain?
hello friends please discuss here
Lesson 3 mein daikho C. Business gain competitive advantage by using operations based strategies.
1. Product and service design. The design is not only the starting point but allows certain features
to be added which makes your product or service favorable to the customer.
2. Cost or Cost Leadership, offers the product or service at an economical price
3. Location refers to the Convenient point of sales, it can be a petrol pump (services) with an
attached convenience store
4. Quality should always match the price and service.
5. Quick response aka Also known as Agility and an organization on this basis is often known as
6. Flexibility. Flexibility change the car model from sedan to coupe based on your marketing
7. Inventory management. Maintain safety stocks and critical spares.
8. Supply chain management. Develop and sustain an active and strong chain between suppliers
and end customers.
9. Service .After sales service, owning the customers issue as your own, a concept which has
failed PK in its quest for foreign market penetration.
Inko likh sakte ho k even in these tough times because the company adapted these strategies despite other organizations were suffering a financial crisis, the company continued to be successful.
Lesson 3 mein hee agr iss heading k neche daikho tu hai Why organizations fail. In mein se bhe kuch pointers uthai ja sakte hain.
Common Reasons why Organizations Fail
We can identify certain familiar reasons why Organizations fail to achieve a competitive advantage and
end up loosing out to their competitors. These reasons are universal in nature and find the same footing
in Pakistan as well as any other place in the world.
1. Too much emphasis on short-term financial performance. Quite often, cost cutting, profit
maximizing at the cost of social responsibility or employee motivation is a failed strategy
pursued by organizations, which just hastens their status to oblivion.
2. Failing to take advantage of strengths and opportunities. This is in reality failing to hold on
to proven successful strategies or core competencies. Sometimes a change in leadership
leads to change in strategy, where just for the sake of glory and high profits, organizations
forget their core competence and opt for strategies and tactic which cause their downfall.
3. Failing to recognize competitive threats. This reason is the exact opposite of failure to make
use of the organizations strengths. Quite often organizations decide to pursue status quo and
ends up bringing no new product or service or even no innovation in its existing product or
service line leading to lack of customer satisfaction, decline in profits and finally being
declared a failure.
4. Neglecting operations strategy. This is definitely the most important reason of failure;
organizations often end up employing non productive techniques which lead to inconsistent
and failed operations. Absence of an Operations Strategy leads to
5. Too much emphasis in product and service design and not enough on improvement.
Differentiation in terms of service and product, American companies in 1980s did that they
never introduced incremental refinements rather went for big changes and thus lost to
6. Neglecting investments in capital and human resources. A total disregard to use the best
resource. Capital and human resources in the long run make or break an organization.
7. Failing to establish good internal communications. Matrix organizations or hierarchy or
such a strong structure that often the structure does not allow communication.
8. Failing to consider customer wants and needs. This is actually indicative of an
organizations lack of marketing research skills. This also shows that there is no respect to
Customer Relationship Management Concept and certainly no respect to the customer.
Nadia gud keep it up .you are doing great job
Note for All Members: You don’t need to go any other site for this assignment/GDB/Online Quiz solution, Because All discussed data of our members in this discussion are going from here to other sites. You can judge this at other sites yourself. So don’t waste your precious time with different links.
Tariq bhai Please advise what we have to recommend the opertaion manager about accurate forecasting?