+ Link For Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution
+ Link For Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More
How to Add New Discussion in Study Group ? Step By Step Guide Click Here.
SEMESTER Fall 2013
Cultural Anthropology (SOC401)
Assignment No. 02
Due Date: January 29, 2014 Marks: 20
Ethnography: Participant Observation
• To enable students to understand the theory and practice of participant observation
• To discover the nature of social reality by participating in social situations
You are supposed to select an accessible social, religious or cultural event, function,
celebration or gathering (it’s up to your feasibility and convenience) which you can attend
like: Meelad, marriage ceremony and cultural show etc.
• Go to the specific location and observe the event in detail first, keep the record of people
(class, status and lifestyle) and how they interact with each other.
• Secondly, note down the environmental, material and nonmaterial culture. (Give a brief
sketch of selected social situation or event).
After collecting the data, you are supposed to make a brief report about event that you have
1. Introduction of selected event(4)
2. Observations of selected event like: people (class, status and lifestyle) and their interaction,
material and non material culture, environment (10)
3. Conclusion (your personal experience of applying this research method methodology in
practical life) (6)
You can make it more interesting by giving the pictures of event if allowed by participants.
• Remember to take your field notebook and a pen.
• Plan how you will take notes during the observation activity or social situation.
• Select the time, day and date and look forward to how long you will collect participant
observation data of an occasion.
• Writing field notes, record of pictures (if possible)
• Closely describe and analyze empirical material.
• Interact with people socially and disclose your identity and purpose.
After conducting this field work students will be able to:
Understand the social realities of life and learn different human behaviors and cultural practices
through participant observation.
Only in the case of Assignment, 24 hours extra / grace period after the due date is
usually available to overcome uploading difficulties which may be faced by the
students on last date. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies
and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any
Please read the following instructions carefully before attempting the assignment solution.
• Make sure that you upload the solution file before the due date. No assignment will be
accepted through e-mail once the solution has been uploaded by the instructor.
• Use the font style “Times New Roman”/ “Arial” and font size “12”.
• It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word 2003.
• Use black and blue font colors only.
• Every student will work individually and has to write in the form of an analytical
• Give the answer according to question.
• For acquiring the relevant knowledge don’t rely only on handouts but watch the video
lectures and use other reference books also.
Rules for Marking
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0) if:
• It has been submitted after due date
• The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt
• It is in any format other than doc (MS. Word)
• It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc…
Note related to load shedding: Please be proactive
As you know that semester activities have started and load shedding
problem is also prevailing in our country now a days. Keeping in view the
fact, It is requested to all of you to manage to post your activities as early as
possible and don’t wait for the due date. For your convenience activity
schedule has already been uploaded on VULMS for the current semester,
therefore no excuse will be entertained after due date of assignments,
quizzes or GDBs
.+ http://bit.ly/vucodes (Link for Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution)
+ http://bit.ly/papersvu (Link for Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More)+ Click Here to Search (Looking For something at vustudents.ning.com?) + Click Here To Join (Our facebook study Group)