Exam Phobia is a psychological condition in which people experienced extreme stress, anxiety, discomfort and irrational fear during or before examination. A little nervousness or tension is healthy for you that it can helps you perform your best. But when this tension or stress becomes so excessive that it actually hampers your performance on an exam and then it is called Exam Phobia or Test Anxiety.
Causes of Exam Phobia:
- Unrealistic expectations of parents from their children.
- Parental pressure that cause greater worry and fear of failure.
- Excessive pressure and fear of teachers.
- Inadequate study.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
- Poor motivation and lack of self esteem.
- Poor nutrition and sleeping disturbance.
Symptoms of Exam Phobia:
Symptoms of Exam Phobia
can be divided into
3 categories- physiological, cognitive or behavioral and emotional.
- Excessive sweating
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid heart breath
- Dry mouth
- Panic attacks
- Trembling and limbs become cold
- Frequent urination
Cognitive/ Behavioural Symptoms:
- Fear of failure
- Random thoughts
- Feeling of inadequacy
- Negative self talk
- Suicidal ideation
- Feeling of excessive mental pressure
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
- Drop out from school
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Low self esteem
- Feeling of hopelessness and helplessness
- Feeling of disappointment
Some tips for overcoming Exam Phobia:
- Develop study habit: Be prepared for exam. Start study at least 15 days before the examination. Make a time schedule and prepare your lessons according to it.
Use 4th step and keep yourself be positive:
- Develop positive attitude: Motivate yourself and keep trying. Always remember you can do it. Don’t study continuously. Take break between your study times. Don’t lose your self confidence. Try to develop self esteem.
- Stay focused: Concentrate on your test not others during the examination time. Avoid talking with other students about the subject before an examination.
- Use mnemonics: Mnemonics are the techniques of memorization. You can make chart, rhymes or phrase to memorize your lessons.
- do you know about techniques how to solve paper follow by 4th step rule bye take care to all vu students