We are here with you hands in hands to facilitate your learning & don't appreciate the idea of copying or replicating solutions. Read More>>

Looking For Something at vustudents.ning.com? Click Here to Search

www.bit.ly/vucodes

+ Link For Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution

www.bit.ly/papersvu

+ Link For Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More


Dear Students! Share your Assignments / GDBs / Quizzes files as you receive in your LMS, So it can be discussed/solved timely. Add Discussion

How to Add New Discussion in Study Group ? Step By Step Guide Click Here.

Top 27 Haunted Places In The World 27 to 19 here................

Number Twenty-Seven

New Manila, Quezon City, The Philippines, Balete Drive

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 3.5

Status – Museum 

Investigation Ease – 3

 

History

Balete Drive has existed since the age of Spanish Imperialism and colonization in the 19th Century. Many of the houses along the street date to this time period as well and are said to be haunted. A “White Lady” apparition is said to haunt the street. Balete trees (for which this street is named) are said to drawn in the para and supernatural. New Manila is filled with these trees as well as the many on this street.

Legends and Paranormal Activity

The “White Lady” is said to either be from the Spanish Era and still searching for her long lost love or, the more accepted belief, is that she was raped and murdered by Japanese soldiers during their occupation in World War II. She is known for approaching people on their own who dare to walk or drive down her street. She has also been reported as appearing in the back seats of cars when the back seat is empty. Legend says never walk Balete Drive alone and if you drive always keep the car full and never look into a mirror.

Location

The intersection of Balete Drive is between Aurora Boulevard, a few blocks away from Gilmore Avenue and Broadway Centrum. The east side exits near St. Luke’s Medical Center and the west side exits near GMA-7 and Tomas Morato Avenue, one of the night-life centers of the city. The central intersection of Aurora Boulevard is the EDSA-Cubano shopping center built in the 1970s.

 

Number Twenty-Six

Capetown, South Africa, Castle Of Good Hope

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 3.5

Status – Museum 

Investigation Ease – 3

 

History

Built between 1666 and 1679 by the Dutch East India Company, it is the oldest colonial building in South Africa. It was built as a replenishment station  for ships traveling between The Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia). The castle was built up over the years and used as a prison in the Second Boer War (1899-1902). In 1936 it was declared a National Monument and extensive renovations were done the 1980′s to bring the structure back to its former glory. The site also was used as the local headquarters for the South African Army but is now used as military museum.

Legends and Paranormal Activity

In both 1915 and 1947 the apparition of man was seen on the castle’s battlements walking between the Leerdam and Oranje bastions – both times he was seen for a period of weeks. Phantom footsteps are heard in this area as well. The apparition of a large black dog is seen on the grounds that leaps at people before disappearing.  The castle’s bell rings on its own after a guard hung himself on the rope hanging from it.  In the guard room disembodied voices of a man and a woman are heard arguing. The lights in the Buren bastion turn on and off on their own. The apparition of a former Governor is seen walking the castle’s grounds. The apparition of a “grey lady” is also seen in the castle. Other activity – objects moving on their own, light anomalies, shadow figures and the feeling of being watched.

Location

Castle Street

 

Number Twenty-Five

East Maitland, Australia, Old Maitland Gaol

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 3.5

Status – Museum

Investigation Ease – 4.5

 

History

Although the construction of the first permanent buildings did not begin until 1846 this location was used as a jail as early as 1843 when 2 men were hung for the murder of a child. It was officially opened in 1848. Public executions were held at the main gate until 1861 to large crowds and 16 men were executed in the prison (although it debatable where they happened after 1861) between 1849 and 1897 (when all executions were stopped) for rape and murder. The last man executed in May of 1897 was convicted of raping his step-daughter but maintained his innocence until he was hung. Corporal punishment was continued until 1905 with flogging being the most common punishment.

In 1975 there was a prison riot which resulted in the maintenance building being burned. The 78 rioting prisoners were all moved to other prisons. In 1977 there was a mass escape of 7 prisoners but all were back in custody within 2 hours. In 1980 a large escape was discovered and the man who told prison officials about was shortly thereafter found with his throat slit so violently he was very nearly decapitated. In 1993 a new wing was constructed only for prisoners who had committed the worst crimes keeping them completely separated from the general population. 

On January 31, 1998 Maitland Goal was closed down permanently – it was longest continually used prison in Australia. It has since been converted into a museum and tourist attraction.

Legends and Paranormal Activity

Apparitions of former staff and inmates on the grounds, on the wall and inside of the buildings. The apparition of an inmate who rocks back and forth at the door to his former cell. The feelings of being watched, followed and not wanted. Empathic sensations of sadness and extreme violence. Doors opening and closing on their own. Unexplained bangs, scrapes and other noises as well as disembodied whispers. Other activity: light anomalies, unexplained mists, shadow figures and unexplained temperature changes.

We also came across a legend that a inmate in Cell C in Block 4 made a deal with Satan before committing suicide by setting himself on fire. This is said to be proven by Satanic symbols drawn on the wall of the cell. The unfortunate guard who had to clean up the mess left behind was said to be a grounded man but he went home broke his bathroom mirror and slashed his wrists with the broken glass. Before bleeding to death he apparently wrote a message with his own blood claiming that he needed to die to stop the Satanic forces from escaping into the world. Cell C Block 4 was padlocked shut and remains so to this day.   

Location

6-18 John Street

 

 

Number Twenty-Four

County Offally, Ireland, Leap Castle

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 4

Status -  Residence

Investigation Ease – 2

 

History

Called the most haunted castle in all of Ireland. Built in the 15th century by the O’Bannion family who were subject to the ruling clan – the O’Carroll’s. In 1513 and 1516 the Earl of Kildare attacked the castle and managed to take it the second time but by 1557 it was back in the hands of the O’Carrolls. When Mulrooney O’Carroll in 1537 left the clan in shambles as brother fought against brother for control. In one incident the one brother, who had become a priest, was holding mass in the castle when another brother rushed in and plunged his sword through his rival brother killing him. The priest died sprawled over the alter in front of his family – hence the legend of “The Bloody Altar”.In 1659 the castle passed to the Darby family. In 1922 the castle was burned in the Irish Civil War which was partially caused by the raising on the tenant’s rent to pay for an addition to the castle. From 1991 on the castle has been owned by Sean Ryan.

Legends and Paranormal Activity

Uncountable people were tortured and put to death inside the castle walls. During renovations after the fire a dungeon where people were left to die was uncovered. When the castle was boarded up and abandoned after the fire people would see lights for just a second on the second floor as if someone had passed through the room with a lit candle. It is said that an elemental was released from the dungeons and partially do with a certain Mrs Darby dabbling in the occult. The elemental is neither human nor inhuman but has dark sunken eyes and carries the smell of a rotting corpse. One of the owners suffered two accidents upon trying to restore the castle; the second accident took place on the anniversary of the first. The apparition of an old man has been seen by the downstairs fireplace. The bloody chapel has been known to light up as if a hundred candles were suddenly lit. The apparition of a lady in red has been seen.

Location

About 4 miles west of Roscrea on the R421

 

 

Number Twenty-Three

Wales, New York, Goodleburg Cemetery

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 4

Status -  Functional Cemetery

Investigation Ease – 3

 

This is another article that needs to be rated Restricted 18 and over please due to its graphic nature.

History

This cemetery contains the remains of the original settlers of Wales and the surrounding area. It is no longer used for burials. This location was very quiet for decades until tales of paranormal activity began to surface in 1990′s leading to many visitors flocking to the site and a lot of vandalism and forcing the administrators of the cemetery to force a dusk to dawn closure. Its been said on the Home Page but again everyone who visits these locations need to do so with respect – zero tolerance of vandalism is the only acceptable policy. Unfortunately investigations at this property has also lead to tragedy when an investigator was struck and killed on the road outside of the cemetery by a car.
 
The story behind this site is that a doctor who lived in the abandoned house at the front of the cemetery (in the mid 19th century) did illegal abortions and buried the remains on a small hill behind the cemetery. Rain eventually caused the ground to slide and the local residents were altered to the problem when dogs began eating the uncovered remains. It is also said that some of the young woman getting the abortions died during the procedure and their bodies were dumped in a pond behind the cemetery. Upon discovery it is said that the doctor hung himself from a tree near the pond.
Legends and Paranormal Activity

This location has become of the most famous in the United States for frequent paranormal activity. People are still finding bones at the edge of the pond particularly after heavy rains. Apparitions of the young would-be Mothers are seen wandering throughout the cemetery. In what is  the most disturbing and chilling aspect of this haunting, apparitions of babies have been seen crawling between the tombstones. Apparitions of the doctor himself have also been seen in the cemetery and hanging from the tree he hung himself from. There is also a lady in white (believed to be one of the victims of a botched abortion) who wanders the grounds of cemetery and the grounds surrounding it. Other activity: cold spots, feelings of general unease and being watched and not wanted, feelings of strong energy and phantom screams.

 
Location

Goodleburg Road. Note there is no parking on the road and it extends 1/2 mile in either direction from the graveyard. Please use extreme caution when investigating this site.

 

 

Number Twenty-Two

London, England, Highgate Cemetery

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 4

Status -  Functional Cemetery

Investigation Ease – 2

 

History

First opened in 1839 in what is now called the West Cemetery; the East Cemetery was opened in 1854.  It was originally opened in a heavily wooded area (it is now within the London itself) in attempt to alleviate the pressure on the inner city cemeteries which could no longer handle the number of deaths (these cemeteries were actually becoming a health hazard)  – it was part of the “Magnificent Seven” seven large modern cemeteries built outside of the city. The Victorian attitude toward death led to the creation of extravagant Gothic tombs and stones  and lead to the creation of what is now regarded as one of the most beautiful and extraordinary graveyards in the world. 

The site has been left in its natural state without human intervention and the heavily wooded area has become a haven for birds and small animals. Many famous and infamous people are buried here including the parents and wife of Charles Dickens, the criminal mastermind which probably provided the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes nemesis, Moriarty and Karl Marx (the father of Communism). Due to vandalism the impressive western cemetery is only accessible by tours now. People are still being interned in the cemetery as there are still large open areas with no graves.

Cell phones, bags or coats are permitted on the grounds and a 1 pound fee is charged for being in a camera.

Legends and Paranormal Activity

Vampires!! This location is one of the few sites outside of Eastern Europe where reports of vampires are taken as truthful. In March of 1970 there was even a mass vampire hunt in the cemetery after reports of Wallachian noble being buried here and risen to a vampire by an evil cult. Reports of dead foxes (with no apparent cause of death), attacks on people by creatures with fangs and corpses found in cars are all blamed on vampires. There are also reports – even in modern times – of strange and evil cults operating in the graveyard (the most reasonable explanation for this is a probable population of insane people who live on the grounds). Apparitions are frequently seen in both cemeteries and on Swain Lane – these include: a woman in white, a cyclist, faces glaring out of the bars of the surrounding fence, a tall man in black wearing a hat, a figure gliding through a pond and what is described as a pale gliding form. The phantom sounds of bells, footsteps, disembodied voices, screams, cries and pretty much every noise imaginable. The apparition of Juilis Beer is seen near his large tomb which dominates the cemetery from its highest point. Other activity: shadow figures, UFO sightings, light anomalies, disembodies voices, touches and pushes by invisible presences and a general feeling of unease and of being watched (to name a few).

Location

The cemetery is located on both sides of Swain’s Lane in Highgate, N6, next to Waterlow Park. The Main Gate is located just north of Oakshott Avenue. The cemetery is in the London Boroughs of Camden, Haringey and Islington.

 

Number Twenty-One

Danvers, Massachusetts, Danver’s State Hospital

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 4.5

Status – Residence (Former Psychiatric Hospital)

Investigation Ease -  2

 

History

The State Lunatic Hospital at Danvers was constructed in the spring of 1878 near Danvers, Massachusetts. It constructed according the Kirkbride Plan after Thomas Kirkbride a prominent psychiatrist in Philadelphia in the mid-1800s. It was constructed at a cost of $1.5 million.
The hospital was originally 2 main center buildings with 4 radiating wings and a tower measuring 130 feet in height. It was built to house 500 patients with the possibly of putting 100 more in the attic however by the 1930′s and 40s it housed 2,000 patients with severe over crowding. The site was also used as a nurses school and a pathological laboratory.During the 1960′s the hospital began to explore alternative treatments and de-institutionalization and the inpatient population began to decrease. Because budget cuts the hospital was closed in June of 1992.

In December of 2005 the property was sold to Avalon Bay Development and despite a public outcry and a legal case (of which there have been many complaints about the courts handled it) all buildings slated for demolition were destroyed by June of 2006. Avalon’s plan was construct apartment complexes on the site however in the early morning hours of April 7, 2007 a large fire broke out in all of Avalon’s construction trailers and 4 of the apartment buildings.
Only the original facade of the administration building was left but it also burned in the tremendous heat from the fire. The fire was visible from Boston 17 miles away and the webcam Avalon had set up on the site suddenly quit transmitting at 2:03 am possibly due to the fire. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

The Danver’s State Hospital location is now an apartment complex called Avalon Danvers but there are numerous complaints about treatment by the buildings managers, high rent increases, large amounts of noise, vandalism, domestic violence and other crimes as well as electrical problems. There are also complaints of dangerous people living in the complex and nearby. It could be that Avalon is just not a good property manger or is the site really cursed?
The team have always said that laughed at people who move into the site of a demolished psychiatric hospital (what were they thinking?) but after reading some of their letters I have to say I really feel sorry for them as well.

Legends

The original name for Danvers was Salem Village. This is where the Salem Witch Trials were held not in the current town of Salem. People were actually hung on Hawthorne Hill where the hospital was built.

Jonathan Hawthrone, perhaps the most fanatical judge in the infamous Salem Witch Trials, is said to have lived in a house on the same hill long before the hospital was built. He over saw the deaths of 23 innocents.

The mold infested crops that have been said to have caused the hallucinations that lead to the Salem Witch Trials are said to have been grown on the same hill as the hospital was built.

By the 1940s faced with intense overcrowding the hospital resorted to brutal techniques including early-style shock treatments, lobotomies and hydrotherapy (total immersion in freezing cold water).

Dozens of requests were made to perform seances on the property to the Massachuetts Department of capital Assets who owned the property during the period of abandonment. All were denied.

Jeralyn Levasseur lived on the property as a child in a house lent to her father by the Hospital administrator. She remembers hearing footsteps in the second storey hallways when no one else was home as well as doors that would open and close as well as lights flickering. She also remembers her brother and sister seeing the apparition of an older woman scowling at them. When she was in high school all of the covers were ripped off her bed when no one else was in the room.

There are 2 schools of thought about the site. One says it is purely haunted by the incredible amount of negative energy from both the witch trials and the horrific treatment of the overcrowded patients at the hospital. The other school says the actual ghosts of former innocents killed in the witch trials and the former patients still walk the grounds.

Paranormal Activity

Countless apparitions of both former patients and staff, shadow figures, phantom sounds of voices, laughter, crying, screaming and every other imaginable sound, feelings of being touched, pushed and tugged at, feelings of being watched, not being wanted, general unease, intense and uncontrollable fear and intense overwhelming sadness, reports from people of having their names spoken, doors opening and closing on their own, electrical disturbances, light anomalies, mysterious mists and glows and pretty much any other paranormal activity ever experienced.  A feeling of intense evil is said to hang over this area (perhaps pre-dating the hospital) that seems to exist to this day.

Danvers Avalon Today

For the best look at the hospital in its abandoned state but before construction was began please watch the movie “Session 9″. 

Directions to Danvers Avalon the site of the hospital before it was destroyed.

From 95 North

Exit 49 (Rte 62 Danvers/Middleton) Left at Stop sign Straight through 1st traffic light Left at second traffic light onto Old Maple Street. Arrive at Hathorne Hill. Make an immediate right onto Kirkbride Drive.

From 95 South

Take exit 50 onto Route 1 South toward Route 62/Middleton. Turn right onto Route 62 West toward Middleton. Turn left at first traffic light onto Old Maple St. Arrive at Hathorne Hill. Make an immediate right onto Kirkbride Drive

 

Number Twenty

Wilder, Kentucky, Bobby Mackey’s Music World

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 4.5

Status – Functional Bar

Investigation Ease -  3

 

History

Bobby Mackey’s Music World is a nightclub and honky tonk that is currently owned by country singer Bobby Mackey and located on 44 Licking Pike in Wilder, Kentucky. Situated about 8 miles (13 km) south of Cincinnati, and near the north-flowing Licking River and a railroad, the building is self-proclaimed as “the most haunted nightclub in the USA.

Apparently, a small satanic group made up of local residents gathered at the empty building, managing to practice their rituals in secret. However, they were exposed in 1896 during one of the most spectacular murder trials ever held in northeast Kentucky. It was so large that tickets were sold to the hearing and more than 5,000 people stood outside the Newport, Kentucky courthouse for information about what was taking place inside. The trial, and the murder that spawned it, has become an integral part of Bobby Mackey’s haunted history.

Pearl Bryan, an attractive young woman, was the daughter of a wealthy farmer, was an attractive, young woman who lived in Greencastle, Indiana in 1896. She was the youngest of 12 children from a prominent family and by the age of 22, was one of the most popular girls in the area. She had graduated from Greencastle High School in 1892 and had more than her share of suitors. Unknown to her friends and the polite members of Greencastle society, Pearl was pregnant. Her cousin and close friend, William Wood, had recently introduced her to Scott Jackson, who was then attending the Ohio College of Dental Surgery in Cincinnati. He and Wood, who was then attending medical school at DePauw University, became close friends but unbeknown to Wood, Jackson was an alleged member of the occult group that met in the former slaughterhouse in Wilder. Jackson’s family was as well-to-do as the Bryan’s and so he was immediately accepted as a suitor for Pearl. He soon seduced her however and she became pregnant. Pearl turned to Wood, who in turn, informed Jackson of the problem. He made arrangements to remedy the situation with an abortion in Cincinnati.

Pearl left her parent’s home on February 1, 1896 and told them that she was going to Indianapolis. Instead, she made plans to meet with Jackson and his roommate, Alonzo Walling, in Cincinnati. It would be the last time that her parents would ever see her alive. She was at that time five months pregnant.

Jackson’s medical skills were apparently much more inept than he had led his friend William Wood to believe. He first tried to induce an abortion using chemicals, apparently cocaine. This substance was later discovered in Pearl’s system during an autopsy. After that, he tried to use dental tools, but botched that as well. After an hour or so, Pearl was frightened; injured and bleeding and that’s when the story gets even darker turn.

The three of them left Cincinnati and traveled across the Ohio River and into Kentucky. Jackson took them to a secluded spot near Fort Thomas and here, he and Walling murdered Pearl Bryan. Using dental instruments, they severed her head from her body. It was a “clean cut”, according to the testimony of the doctor who later examined the body. He also determined that Pearl had been alive at the time because of the presence of blood on the underside of some leaves at the murder scene.

Pearl’s body was found about two hundred feet off the Alexandria Turnpike and less than two miles from the abandoned slaughterhouse. As her head was nowhere to be found, Pearl was identified by her shoes. They bore the imprint of Louis and Hays, a Greencastle shoe company that was able to confirm that they had been sold to Pearl Bryan. During the trial that followed, Walling testified that it had been Jackson’s idea to cut Pearl up and distribute her body in the Cincinnati sewers. Only the head was taken, for which Jackson apparently had other uses. Pearl’s luxurious blond hair was later found in a valise in Jackson’s room.

Legend has it that Pearl’s head was used during a satanic ritual at the slaughterhouse. It was then dumped into the well of blood and was lost. Jackson and Walling were brought to trial in 1897 and were quickly found guilty and sentenced to death. William Wood was later arrested and charged as an accomplice. Charges against him were dropped when he agreed to testify against the other two men. According to reports, Jackson and Walling were both offered life sentences instead of execution if they would reveal the location of Pearl’s head. Both men refused. They went to the gallows behind the courthouse in Newport on March 21, 1897. It was the last public hanging in Campbell County.

The stories spread that Jackson and Walling were afraid of suffering “Satan’s wrath” if they revealed the location of Pearl’s head. The slaughterhouse was then a closely guarded secret and other occultists would have been exposed if the two men had talked. One reporter commented later that Walling, as the noose was being slipped over his head, threatened to come back and haunt the area after his death. The writer also stated a few days later, in an article in the Kentucky Post newspaper that an “evil eye” had fallen on many of the people connected to the Pearl Bryan case. Legend has it that many of the police officials and attorneys involved in the case later met with bad luck and tragic ends.

After the trial ended, the slaughterhouse fell silent and remained empty for many years. It was eventually torn down and a roadhouse was constructed on the site. During the 1920’s, the place became known as a speakeasy and as a popular gambling joint. Local lore has it that during this period, a number of murders took place in the building. None of them were ever solved because the bodies were normally dumped elsewhere to keep attention away from the illegal gambling and liquor operation.

After Prohibition ended in 1933, the building was purchased by E.A. Brady, better known to friends and enemies alike as “Buck”. Brady turned the building in a thriving tavern and casino called the Primrose. He enjoyed success for a number of years but eventually the operation came to the attention of syndicate mobsters in Cincinnati. They moved in on Brady, looking for a piece of the action. Brady refused offers for new “partners” and outright bids to buy him out of the Primrose. Soon, the tavern was being vandalized and customers were being threatened and beaten up in the parking lot. The violence escalated until Brady became involved in a shooting in August 1946. He was charged and then released in the attempted murder of small-time hood Albert “Red” Masterson. This was the last straw for Buck and he sold out to the gangsters. It was said that when he left, he swore the place would never thrive again as a casino. Brady committed suicide in September 1965.

After Brady sold out, the building re-opened as another nightclub called the Latin Quarter. Several times during the early 1950’s, the new owners of the bar were arrested on gambling charges. In 1955, Campbell County deputies broke into the building with sledge hammers and confiscated slot machines and gambling tables. Apparently, Brady’s promises had come to pass.

It was also during this period that the legends of the building gained another vengeful ghost. According to the stories, the owner of the club’s daughter, Johanna, fell in love with one of the singers who was performing here and became pregnant. Her father was furious. Thanks to his criminal connections, he had the singer killed. Johanna became so distraught that she attempted to poison her father and then succeeded in taking her own life. Her body was later discovered in the now infamous basement and according to the autopsy report, she was five months pregnant just like Pearl Bryan.

Bad luck continued to plague the owners of the tavern. In the 1970’s, it became known as the Hard Rock Cafe, but it was closed down by authorities in 1978 because of some fatal shootings on the premises.

Legends and Paranormal Activity

Carl Lawson was the first employee hired by Bobby Mackey. He was a loner who worked as a caretaker and handyman at the tavern. He lived alone in an apartment in the upstairs of the building and spent a lot of time in the sprawling building after hours. When he began reporting that he was seeing and hearing bizarre things in the club, people around town first assumed that he was simply crazy. Later on though, when others started to see and hear the same things, Lawson didn’t seem so strange after all.

“I’d double check at the end of the night and make sure that everything was turned off. Then I’d come back down hours later and the bar lights would be on. The front doors would be unlocked, when I knew that I’d locked them. The jukebox would be playing the ‘Anniversary Waltz’ even though I’d unplugged it and the power was turned off,” Lawson told author Doug Hensley, who has written extensively about the haunted tavern.

The first ghost that Lawson spotted in the place was that of a dark, very angry man that he saw behind the bar. Even though others were present at the time of the sighting, they saw nothing. A short time later, Lawson began to experience visions of a spirit who called herself “Johanna”. She would often speak to Lawson and he was able to answer her and carry on conversations. The rumors quickly started that Lawson was “talking to himself”. Lawson claimed that Johanna was a tangible presence though, often leaving the scent of roses in her wake.

Odd sounds and noises often accompanied the sightings and Lawson soon realized that the spirits seemed to be the strongest in the basement, near an old-sealed up well that had been left from the days when there was a slaughterhouse at the location. The lore of the area, Carl knew, stated that the well had once been used for satanic rituals. Some of the local folks referred to it as “Hell’s Gate”. Although he wasn’t a particularly religious man, Lawson decided to sprinkle some holy water on the old well one night, thinking that it might bring some relief from the spirits. Instead, it seemed to provoke them and the activity in the building began to escalate.

Other employees and patrons of the place began to have their own weird experiences. They began to tell of objects that moved around on their own, lights that turned on an off, disembodied voices and laughter and more.

Janet Mackey had also experienced the strange activity. She had seen the ghosts, had felt the overwhelming presences and had even smelled Johanna’s signature rose scent. She also had a very frightening encounter in the basement. While she was there, she was suddenly overcome by the scent of roses and felt something unseen swirl around her. “Something grabbed me by the waist,” Janet later recalled. “It picked me up and threw me back down. I got away from it, and when I got to the top of the stairs there was pressure behind me, pushing me down the steps. I looked back up and a voice was screaming ’Get Out! Get Out!’” At the time of this terrifying encounter, Janet was, like Johanna and Pearl Bryan before her, five months pregnant.

Once Janet admitted that she had seen the ghosts in the building, other people began to come forward. Roger Heath, who often worked odd jobs in the club, remembered a summer morning when he and Carl Lawson were working alone in the building. Heath was removing some light fixtures from the dance floor and Lawson was carrying them down to the basement. Just before lunch, Lawson came up the stairs and Heath noticed that he had small handprints on the back of his shirt. It looked just like a woman had been hugging him!

Erin Fey, a hostess at the club, also confessed to encountering Johanna. She had laughed one day at Lawson when he was talking to the ghost. She stopped laughing when she also got a strong whiff of the rose perfume.

Independent witnesses provided matching descriptions of the phantom, never knowing that she had been seen by others. Looking into the historic records to explain building’s past, events of the past were closely connected to the hauntings of the present. In old newspaper accounts, the story of Pearl Bryan and photos of Buck Brady that matched the description of an often seen ghost. None of the witnesses to the present-day paranormal activity were even vaguely aware of who these people had been or what connections they had to the building.

Location

44 Licking Pike

Have you or anyone you know experienced paranormal activity at this location? If so please email us your story at HNAI

 

 

Number Nineteen

Fort Erie, Ontario,  Former Erie Beach Amusement Park

 

Chance of Paranormal Activity – 4.5

Status – Public Land (Abandoned Amusement Park)

Investigation Ease – 5

 

History

Erie Beach has a long history dating back to the War Of 1812 and the nearby Old Fort Erie. During the War Of 1812 the US forces landed both on and near the Erie Beach area in their successful attempt to take the fort. The area that would later become a picnic ground and amusement park was used for many things during this battle including a battlefield, an encampment, a field hospital and a hastily dug graveyard.

The park is located in the town of Fort Erie, Ontario near the Peace Bridge and directly across from the western end of Buffalo, New York. As with the nearby Crystal Beach (see previous article) the park began as picnic grounds called Snake Hill Grove.

The park catered not only to Canadians but also to the much larger population across the river/lake in the United States. In 1887 ferry service was offered from Buffalo to a train terminal. The customers were then taken by a four open coach train known as The Sandfly Express to the park. Eventually the train was run by a boiler driven locomotive until 1901 when it derailed and hit a tree.

1901 was also the year of the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo and the owners of the park began an upgrade over the next decade including buying the miniature train once the exposition was closed. In this year the name of the park was changed to Fort Erie Grove. In 1904 a carousel was added. A new railroad was bought and used on the existing tracks including 2 locomotives from the outlawed elevated railroad in New York City in 1904.

Over the years many attractions were added to the park including a hotel in 1905 and a figure 8 roller coaster (rumored to have come from Crystal Beach) called the Backey-Back in 1909. However this information may be incorrect as a map of the park in 1910 only shows one roller coaster and it is labeled as The Scenic Railway.

In 1910 the park was bought by a new owner whose wish was to create a top of the line amusement park. Realizing the US customers were always in greater numbers he built a new ferry dock on the site of the park and operated 4 ferries from Buffalo, The Chicora, The United States, The Frontier and The Ossian Bedell.

A 3 story casino, a bowling alley, a restaurant, dance hall and a bathing house were opened for the 1911 season.

By 1915 the following new attractions had opened: a swimming area (advertised as the world’s largest, a children’s swimming area, bumper cars, a circle swing and a roller rink. In 1917 a new carousel, miniature railroad and a ride called The Whip were added. The park also included a large stadium and an airport with flights to and from Niagara Falls. By the end of World War I another roller coaster, a Ferris wheel, fairy swings and a kiddie area had also been constructed.

By the beginning of 1920’s patronage had begun to fall off. This was due in part due to the construction of The Peace Bridge; American could now travel to Canada in their cars and looked for a longer trip to the nearby Crystal Beach.

In 1927, in hopes of bringing the customers back a new concrete dock for the ferries, a slide into the water, a pony track, a Mill Chute ride and a Penny Arcade was added. In 1928 a new roller coaster called The Wildcat and a go-kart track were built. Alas these upgrades came to late to save the park and as of Labour Day, 1930 the park ceased operations. Most of the equipment was bought quickly by the owners of Crystal Beach in an attempt to make sure another amusement park was not open on the site. The site was later bought in toto by the owners of Crystal Beach and re-zoned so another amusement park could never built on the site effectively ending anyone dreams of creating a rival to their park.

The bumper cars would go to London, Ontario to be used in Springbank Park and the carousel was sold to The Skylon in Niagara Falls. The tracks from the old Sandfly Express were broken down for scrap during World War II. The hotel remained in operation until 1935 when it burned to the ground. The casino remained open until the mid-1970’s when it was abandoned and eventually demolished.

Very little remains of Erie Beach Park in this day and age. The concrete foundations of the casino can still be found overgrown with vegetation on the beach near the remains of the swimming area. The footings for the carousel can still be found in the woods as well as the remains of the Mill Chute ride. The footing of the fairy swings can also still be seen on the beach as well as large broken concrete pad that was once used for outdoor dancing. Perhaps the most easily found relic of the park is the shattered old 1927 ferry dock which still juts out into Lake Erie. The concrete pad for what was once a restaurant can also be found in the surrounding woods. To the north of the site a long raised mound can be found thought to once have been part of the Sandfly Express tracks.

Legends and Paranormal Activity

This location has been extensively investigated by members of the team in our ongoing investigation of the area.. Much paranormal activity has been witnessed and recorded on the site over the years. A full bodied apparition was witnessed on the beach of a woman in turn of a century clothing has been seen on the beach and actually communicated with briefly and walked on broken concrete without making a sound. The ghost of a small boy was contacted by me near the ruins of the Mill Chute ride; based on his information he apparently fell in the water and drowned when the ride ran him over. Many hours of EVP has also been captured including someone screaming “woohoo” outside of the casino. The apparitions of many figures thought to be teenagers have been seen near the Mill Chute ride; these are thought to be victims that burned to death in either the hotel or a dance hall that was once on the site. Numerous light anomalies have been both photographed and seen at the site. The apparitions of American and British soldiers have been seen the surrounding woods. As well the feeling of being watched and stalked in trees after dark has been felt.

Map of the Amusement Park

Ruins of the Area (Circa 1970′s)

 The Casino during its heyday

 The Former Amusement Park

  

Remains of the Casino (Circa 1980′s)

 

Footing for the Fairy Swing  (Present Day)

Ruins of the Swimming Area  (Circa 1980′s)

 

Ruins of the Ferry Dock  (Present Day)

+ How to Follow the New Added Discussions at Your Mail Address?

+ How to Join Subject Study Groups & Get Helping Material?

+ How to become Top Reputation, Angels, Intellectual, Featured Members & Moderators?

+ VU Students Reserves The Right to Delete Your Profile, If?


See Your Saved Posts Timeline

Views: 470

.

+ http://bit.ly/vucodes (Link for Assignments, GDBs & Online Quizzes Solution)

+ http://bit.ly/papersvu (Link for Past Papers, Solved MCQs, Short Notes & More)

+ Click Here to Search (Looking For something at vustudents.ning.com?)

+ Click Here To Join (Our facebook study Group)

Comment

You need to be a member of Virtual University of Pakistan to add comments!

Join Virtual University of Pakistan

Comment by Duaa Batool on January 12, 2013 at 1:21am

nice blog

Comment by + Angel Sweet Doll(MBA) + on January 11, 2013 at 9:27pm

nice

Comment by + Almas on January 11, 2013 at 8:15pm

Superbbb

Comment by + ! zεε on January 11, 2013 at 3:42pm

Alijaaa kia huaa :o :o

Comment by + ! zεε on January 11, 2013 at 3:41pm

Kiran Susti choro saaraaa parho paper m kaam ae ga :D

Comment by + ! zεε on January 11, 2013 at 3:40pm

thnxxx ali broo....

Comment by ♥Blessing on January 11, 2013 at 6:52am

Ahammm Ahmmm khari tau ho

Comment by ♥Blessing on January 11, 2013 at 6:51am

Comment by Binte Ahmed on January 11, 2013 at 3:09am

but your blog is really informative and stunning..

Comment by Binte Ahmed on January 11, 2013 at 3:07am

yaaar v v nice but yay inna sara parhay ga kon ..any way gud job..nice superb ..

Latest Activity

+ ! ! dAd's anGeL ❤️ liked + ! ! dAd's anGeL ❤️'s discussion -_-
56 minutes ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! maho+++ replied to + IUUOƆƎUT +'s discussion یہ تو حسن و عشق کے ہیں مرحلے
3 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! maho+++ posted a discussion
3 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! Sm!Le updated their profile
3 hours ago
+ Տɑíɾɑ Ƙհɑղ + replied to Asad's discussion ربا سچیا تُوں تے آکھیا سی
3 hours ago
+ ! ! ! ! ! ! maho+++ replied to + IUUOƆƎUT +'s discussion یہ تو حسن و عشق کے ہیں مرحلے
3 hours ago
+ IUUOƆƎUT + replied to + IUUOƆƎUT +'s discussion یہ تو حسن و عشق کے ہیں مرحلے
3 hours ago
+ ! ! S░!░N҉░G҉░E҉░R​⭐️ replied to + IUUOƆƎUT +'s discussion یہ تو حسن و عشق کے ہیں مرحلے
3 hours ago
+ ! ! S░!░N҉░G҉░E҉░R​⭐️ liked + IUUOƆƎUT +'s discussion یہ تو حسن و عشق کے ہیں مرحلے
3 hours ago
+ M.Tariq Malik replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion MTH603 All Current Mid Term Papers Fall 2019 (14 to 26 December 2019) & All Solved Past Papers, Solved MCQs & Helping Material in the group MTH603 Numerical Analysis
3 hours ago
+ M.Tariq Malik replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion MTH603 All Current Mid Term Papers Fall 2019 (14 to 26 December 2019) & All Solved Past Papers, Solved MCQs & Helping Material in the group MTH603 Numerical Analysis
3 hours ago
+ M.Tariq Malik replied to + M.Tariq Malik's discussion MTH603 All Current Mid Term Papers Fall 2019 (14 to 26 December 2019) & All Solved Past Papers, Solved MCQs & Helping Material in the group MTH603 Numerical Analysis
3 hours ago

Today Top Members 

© 2019   Created by + M.Tariq Malik.   Powered by

Promote Us  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

.